1

It was a typical Thursday afternoon for the people in Boston. The cool, autumn air provided for the perfect hustle and bustle atmosphere. People on their way home from classes and work--it was calming and peaceful. However, for Charlie, she was a nervous wreck. Even the cozy atmosphere of the cafe she was in was doing nothing to calm her. She had only 5 hours, 33 minutes and 29 seconds left to write a full, FULL, short story that will impress Poet Anders, her idol. He was a famous author whose first ever book was published and it became a bestseller. Not only that, but it was published when he was 14 years old. He was the author she read growing up, and she had always aspired to one day be as great as him (or maybe even a little better). She longed to meet him one day, but, no one truly knew who he was. He kept his identity a secret, and used 'Poet Anders' as a pen name. But still, Charlie knew she would meet him one day. She just had this gut feeling... and her gut feelings were always right.

Charlie tries to focus back into her laptop, a blinking cursor on a blank document. Nothing. She's spent the past month not knowing what to write, and still she had no ideas. 5 hours, 29 minutes and 38 seconds left. And the seconds were only counting down. Charlie lets out a loud groan, dropping her head onto the table. A loud thump sounds throughout the quiet cafe, causing many pedestrians to look up at her. Charlie just ignores them. She didn't have the luxury of time right now, but yet no inspiration. She always had this issue with class projects, but her professors understood her writer's block and gave her extended time. However, for this contest, there was no such thing as extended time. If Charlie didn't get a full short story in by midnight, she would lose her big chance. If she manages to win, she gets her short story published AND gets to cowrite a book with Poet Anders. So yeah, she couldn't let this opportunity slip through her fingertips.

"It's going to if I don't write a story by midnight." She murmurs bitterly to herself, picking her head up off the table. She turns back towards the window and watches the people walk by. She stays like this for what feels like hours, searching for inspiration in the sea of people. Feeling a presence approach her, Charlie turns her head to look up at Selene. She was a fierce, petite redhead, contrasting Charlie's darker complexion (due to her hispanic background). With one look towards Selene, you could tell you didn't want to be on the receiving end of her fury. I guess that's why I like her so much, thought Charlie, watching Selene's mouth move. She's the opposite of me, physically and mentally. Charlie had wild, curly black hair and dark skin. She was painfully shy, while Selene was so flamboyantly outgoing. Charlie was the kind of girl who would rather stay home and read by a fire, while Selene was the kind of girl that would go out every night with friends. They were opposites, but they balanced each other out. Charlie couldn't imagine a world without Selene in it.

    "Are you even listening to me, Charlie?" Selene waves a hand in front of Charlie's face, annoyed. Charlie could only manage a questionable grunt in response. Heaving a sigh, Selene delicately places another mug of black coffee in front of the dark haired girl. "Char, it's 6:30 and you don't even have one word on the page. What is going on with you?"

    Charlie lets out a frustrated groan, covering her face. "I don't know, Selene! I just- I can't think of anything good enough for the Poet Anders. Whenever I get an idea in my head, I somehow manage to shoot it down before the words can flow out and I just-" A choked sob cuts off the rest of her sentence as she puts her head down. "I can't let this opportunity pass me but I just can't think of anything!" Charlie can barely understand the words coming out of her mouth due to her sobs, but Selene somehow manages.

    "Please don't cry, hon." Selene rests her head against Charlie's, a frown evident on her face. "Maybe you should take a small break, okay? Read for a little." She gently shuts the lid of Charlie's laptop, easing it away from her towards the other side of the table. "I have to go back to work but you just calm down and find your inspiration, okay?"