Prologue

Avery's Parents - Lydia & Avery Sr.  in the mm✨☺️

"Avee, listen to mommy sweetheart. I want to talk to you."

"Aw mama, not another long speech about how I should treat women, and respect em, and love em, and blah blah-"

My young 8 year old self seemed to forget that my mama didn't play about disrespect because as soon as the last blah rolled off my tongue, I was holding an aching lip. 

"Now listen Avery, you already know I don't tolerate that stupid shit so you gon sit yo ass down and listen to my 'long speech', now you heard me boy?"

I wanted to roll my eyes so bad and lowkey stick up the middle finger like every other kid wanna do when they get popped, but I knew better. 

"Yes ma'am, I'm sorry mama." I looked into her hazel eyes then put my head down knowing sooner or later she would embrace me. That's  just the kind of mama she was.

She would discipline me and embrace me right afterwards, and I would always be accepting to it because hey, I loved my mama regardless.
"Aw boy come on ova here with that beautiful chocolate skin you got." 

She smirked at me and hugged me tight before sitting me next to her on the run down sofa that we constantly had to stuff the cotton back into.

"I promise I won't make it long since you say I be making speeches." She rolled her eyes and pouted her mouth up at me playfully.

"But Avery, despite how many times you've heard it, I want you to always respect not only women but the people around you. You never know who you're gonna need in life baby. Now usually I focus on women in general when I talk to you cus these boys growing up ain't got no respect for none of em. 
They went from calling us beautiful and fine to calling us bitches and hoes. I never want that from you no matter how the woman may act or approach you. 

But today Avery, I wanna focus on the respect you should have for black women alone. Baby believe it or not, us black women have it hard nowadays especially when it comes to respect. Nothing is given to us out here in this world, we have to earn it by any means necessary. 

And I want you to know that when you see black women in certain situations especially bad ones, don't be afraid to be their big, brave black knight.
And most of all, when they forget how to love and appreciate themselves and their worth, remind them that they're beautiful black queens and that they have your respect if no one else's in this world.
Judge no one Avee, Cus you may not know how and why they made the decisions they did."

"Mama," I groaned, "I'm listening but I thought you said it was gon be short." "Boy shut yo big head up, I'm finished. I wasn't even long."

I put my hand on my head feeling the size and said, "Ma, my head not even much big!" I glared at her playfully looking at the breath-taking smile that appeared on her smooth, brown face as she then stuck her tongue out at me.

I laughed and wished that for the rest of our lives I would always see her smile, but even as the eight year old boy I was, I knew that all good things eventually came to an end

I knew that the things you wish can last forever gets taken away from you at the blink of an eye and you're forced to only remember the memories that were left behind.