25

CI.

"You did what?"

Lauren slams her coffee cup down on the table with such force that half of its content spills over the lid. You grin at her. "Technically, I didn't do anything. My mom called me a couple of days ago to ask how you were doing, and when I told her she said that she and my dad been waiting for a chance to help out. They're actually the ones who have taken care of everything."

Lauren's eyes are wide in shock as she grabs some paper towels to clean the table. "But, that's - that's insane. Why would they do that? I'm not - we can't just - I won't let-"

You grab her hand. "Lauren."

She falls silent right away.

"Now, before you're going to tell me that that you're not going..." you continue, unable to stop smiling, "You are going."

Lauren groans. "Camz, I can't just-"

"No, you can," you say, cutting her off again. "It's happening. My dad already booked the tickets and my mom said you're not allowed to worry about the money because it's not an issue." Your smile curls wider. "We're flying out to Miami this weekend and you and Chris and Taylor are going to get to visit your mom. It's already been taken care of."

Lauren falls back into her chair. "Camz, that's ridiculous. I can't let your parents pay for stuff like that. They barely even know me. Why would they want to do that?"

"Who says it's about you?" You grin. "Maybe they know that the only way to get their oldest daughter to come back home these days is to invite you too. Since we're, you know, a thing now..."

Lauren blushes softly, but her smile doesn't reach her eyes. "I don't know. I can't just take them up on an offer like that. It doesn't feel right."

You nod. "I know." You lean forward to stroke your fingers over her cheek. "I know you rather take care of things yourself. I love that about you." Lauren's expression softens. "But at the same time, sometimes it's ok to let people help you out, don't you think? My mom means it when she says it's not an issue. She loved having you over during New Year's and she just wants to help you out a bit. My dad, too. They know how tough your mother's hospitalization has been on all of you."

Lauren stares ahead, not saying anything. She bites her lip back, heavy frown on her forehead as she contemplates your words. After a moment, she says, "Can I pay them back for the tickets? Once I'm able to."

You nod. "Baby, of course. If that makes it easier, yes. Just - come to Miami with me this weekend."

Another moment passes and Lauren exhales slowly. Then she looks up at you. "Would you want me to?"

You can't stop your smile. "Yes, Lauren. I want you to."

Finally, her eyes light up at the idea, but before she can say anything, one of the baristas makes his way over to your table with a wash cloth to clean the spilled coffee.

"Everything ok here?" he asks with a smile. "Did my coffee taste that bad?"

"Oh, no," you tell him. "It's my fault. I just told my girlfriend out of nowhere that she's going to have to hang out with my parents over the weekend."

The boy laughs and gives you a knowing grin. As soon as he's back at the counter, you catch Lauren's gaze, something in her eyes that you can't quite place.

"What?" you say, feeling a little flustered all of a sudden.

She bites her lip. "Say that again."