VI. Squarith: Present and Future

AN: Sorry for the long wait. I didn't have inspiration to write this fic and it's hard for me to write Squall.  To be honest I don't like how this chapter turned out (not to mention title sucks) but I hope you like it. 

Also this is  set after FFVIII and DoC.  Aerith is alive, Zack isn't, and Squall is slightly older than he is in canon. He  is 23, while Aerith is 25.

                                                                                         ***

Sitting in the back of the car, Squall saw that they were almost reached the city.

Here it is. Edge. His new home.

It was several months since they defeated Ultimecia, and Squall thought that at last, he could live peacefully with Rinoa.

But happiness didn't last long. After two months of a relationship, Rinoa with tears in her eyes told him that they couldn't be together and therefore they break up.

In that moment, the brown-haired man thought that the world had stopped, his heart broke, leaving a void in his chest, and he couldn't say a word, standing like a statue. He could only watch as Rinoa ran away from him, disappearing in the distance.

Then the shock passed, and fury and pain came instead.

Why did Rinoa do this? After everything they have been through together.

He didn't find an answer to this question.

Unable to be in a city where there were so many happy - and painful - moments with Rinoa, Squall decided to leave.

So he opened the map and chose the first city ​​that caught his eye, which was Edge.

Friends, after learning about his departure didn't stop him. Only came to see him off on the day of departure and hugged him, wishing good luck.

Squall was grateful to them for it, and was grateful to them that they didn't dissuade him.

But Laguna tried to stop him and because of that they had a bad argument.

But it is not important. He apologizes later.

Suddenly the car stopped, snapping him out from memories.

"Get out, we're here," the driver said, sticking his head out of the lowered window.

Squall merely chuckled and jumped from the body to the ground with one deft leap.

Then, he went to the driver and silently, gave money for the ride. The man nodded and put the money in his pocket.

Mercenary turned around and went to get settled.

It has been two weeks since Squall moved to Edge. He found a job and a decent apartment. He didn't have free time; the mercenary specially loaded himself with work, to not think about Rinoa and his broken heart.

But when he did have free time, he walked around the city.

On one such day, he walked around Edge again, caught in his thoughts.

Squall was so busy with his thoughts, that he didn't notice how he bumped into someone.

"Oh!" the stranger gasped, and brunet quickly grabbed the girl's wrist, so that she wouldn't fall, and one hand was on her waist. Her basket, which was on her elbow, slipped from there and fell to the ground and collapsed on side.

Their eyes met.

The stranger (who turned out to be young woman) had brown hair, braided in a braid with a bow in it, and emerald eyes. She wore a pink dress, a red jacket and brown shoes.