Chapter 29: Trapped

Tessa's POV

The white stone stairs seemed colder against my toes as I made eye contact with her amber eyes. They were piercing, as always, and I'm sure that if you asked anyone else who's gazed into those eyes, they'd say too that it felt as though she could read every thought darting through your mind.

After walking as slowly as humanly possible, feeling her eyes on me the entire time, I reached the bottom of the stairs and felt a stiff smile stretch across my lips.

"Tessa." She says softly, and makes her way over to me, stretching her arms out as she nears me.

I open my arms too and soon we are hugging, but it's a very light hug; it's more like we're hovering around each other. It's certainly not a friendly hug. Well that's nice of her, considering I'm opening my boyfriend's home to her.

Macy's POV

I try to initiate a friendly hug, but immediately feel her hug me very lightly, so I go along with it. My god this is so awkward.

Tessa's POV

After a few seconds of pure uncomfortable-ness, I back away and feel my face start to cramp from my fake smile.

"So!" I exclaim, wringing my hands. Macy nervously chuckles.

"So...I just have to say, Tess, that I-"

"Tessa." The firm-toned word bursts from my mouth before I can stop it. Macy blinks at me.

"Tessa. Sorry," she lets out another nervous chuckle, "I just have to say that I am so unbelievably grateful for you and...Shawn, was it?" I nod. "For you and Shawn to take me in. I promise I won't be here for very long...maybe a week or two?" She says the last statement as more of a question.

"However long you're here is fine," I say.

"Really?" Her sharp amber eyes suddenly seem sharper. This is what she does; she loops people in so they can't say no later. But who was I to say 'no, not really. You, a pregnant teenager, can't stay here. Stay at your parents. Oh wait, they disowned you.'

"R-really." I sputter.

"Great, thank you so much." She replies with a smile.

What have I gotten myself into.

Oh Tessa, if only you knew.