// fifty //

Diana's POV

My eyes notice the way a scowl hovers over his features, his eyebrows drawing together in a deep frown. I shouldn't have let it slip up like that. I gave him enough trouble yesterday when I dumped all of my past on him, I don't want to make this thing between us more difficult by telling him that my ex, the father of my child is in the city.

"Say something." I mumble and he meets my eyes.

"What do you expect me to say? You should have told me."

Of course. I take ahold of his hand under the table and he doesn't tighten the grip. He just stares at me, waiting for an explanation but I don't have any. I didn't tell him, because I just didn't want to. There's nothing he can do about it anyway.

"Well, do you remember when I showed up at your doorstep totally hammered?" I ask.

He nods, "Yeah, what about that?"

"I saw him that day. I was pissed at myself because I wanted to talk to you but then I went on to be a bitch and avoided you. So, I left office and went to have fresh air. I was craving coffee so I went to this diner in the next block, and he was there. He didn't see me, but I saw him. It brought out the worst side of me. I was so careless towards Emily, she isn't used to stay without me on weekdays but I just called up Ella to take care of it. I wanted to drink my problems away, but somehow ended up with you at the end of the night." I explain to him and he relaxes under my touch as I draw circles in his palm.

"Ghost from the past." He repeats my words from that night and I nod.

"I couldn't bring myself to tell you everything that night. I.."

He scoots closer and places a small kiss on my hair, "Shh.. it's okay. Can I ask you something?" He asks and I nod.

"Yeah, what is it?"

"I saw a text on your phone last night, I wasn't trying to pry my way into your privacy. Your phone just buzzed and it was right there." He says and I give out a small smile.

"Well, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tell you this but, Mr. Wilson has a personal investigator. He has been helping me look into this Nate matter. I've been freaked out ever since I saw him that day, Aaron. So Matt promised me that he'll let me know why Nate's here. That's why he messaged me last night when he found out." I explain and he relaxes, nodding at me.

"So, why is he here?"

"Apparently the douche had few job interviews. If he gets any of them, he'll settle here. I don't want that, I have no idea what I will do if he decides to stay in New York, Aaron. I don't want to hide my daughter in our apartment. It's bad enough that I have group of fucked up friends who would never understand my situation. I just can't fathom the feeling of being afraid every time I step out in the streets with her." I sigh and he runs his hand up and down my arm.

"It's a big city, Dee. What are the chances of you running into him?" He asks and I can tell that he's saying it to comfort himself more than he's trying to make me believe it.

"Considering my luck, I would say a lot." I scoff and he stares into my eyes. "Why did he choose New York out of all the places in the world?"

"I know I can't exactly understand how you must be feeling, but I'm here with you, every step of the way." He gives me a small smile and I nod.

"Thank you for being so incredibly nice." I keep my head on his shoulder and he sighs.

There's a lot of reasons why I can't really tell Aaron how exactly I feel about this situation. Whenever troubles came along in my life, I had no one else to consider except myself. I did what I felt was best for Emily, for both of us. The thought of how this could affect Aaron as well never occurred to me.