以前

word count: 1790
Duke University, 2012

Seth chews on the end of his pencil in his creative writing class. The clock reads 12:30, and he groans internally, shaking his head. His chocolate eyes scan the room, landing on the young woman he's secretly been watching for the entire semester. He studies every facial feature on her seemingly flawless face, and he subconsciously smiles when she shows her pearly whites.

"Mr. Curry, may I ask why you're the only one in this entire class that's not writing?" The professor questions, raising an eyebrow. Seth's eyes go wide as his face tints a crimson red. Everybody's attention turns to him, and he sinks in his chair.

"No, miss. I'm just distracted at the moment," Seth replies, swallowing hard. He feels her eyes on his nervous figure.

The professor crosses her arms over her chest, shaking her head. "What or whom may that be?"

Seth wants to send daggers at his professor, ready to stand up and throw some curse words at her. Instead, he glances at her, adverting his gaze quickly.

"Nothing, miss. I'm thinking about some things." He sighs, staring down at his blank notebook paper. The professor rolls her eyes before returning to the work on her desk. The class erupts in small chatter among friends. Seth rubs his face, almost choking on his spit as she meets his gaze for the first time.

Her shoulder length hair frames her face, and her brown eyes are staring intensely at Seth. She sends him a small smile, turning around to finish her assignment.

His jaw drops.

She smiled at me.

This isn't real.

The professor dismisses the class, and Seth snaps out of his trance, glancing at the blank piece of paper sitting on his table. He gathers his materials, shoving them in his backpack before hoisting it on his shoulder.

He mentally curses as he sees her packing her things as well, and he prays that he doesn't trip as he walks past her.

He begins to walk toward the door, looking down at the ground.

"Shit."

She lightly curses as her journal falls on the floor.

Right in front of Seth.

They both squat down at the same time. The two pause, staring at each other.

"This is so cliche," she chuckles, smiling at Seth. He cocks his head to the side, raising an eyebrow.

She stands up, thanking Seth quietly as he hands her his journal. He stands up, wiping his pants off. She smiles once more, grabbing her backpack. "The quiet girl drops something and the hot guy helps her pick it up. It's like every high school movie ever."

She shakes her head, glancing up at Seth. "But thank you, uh-"

"Seth. My name's Seth, and you are?"

"Ruth. Thank you again. I'll see you around hopefully."

She begins to walk out, leaving a blushing Seth behind. His phone buzzes in his pocket, reminding him that practice starts in five minutes.

He races out of the room, heading towards the gym.

~~~~~

A few days later, Seth wipes the sweat dripping down his face as he walks out of practice on a chilly March night. Seth unlocks his phone, about to plug in his headphones when he realizes what time it is.