Chapter 4

Chapter 4

            I stepped out of my car in to The Stallings Grill parking lot, the wind whipped my long brown hair around to trail behind me as if it were my shadow while I was walking. It soon became soaked, the wind had turned the rain into a thick misty wall in its continues blowing. Walking in to Stallings I  I caught a glimpse of myself on in the glass on the door, I looked like something straight out of a horror movie with two rivers of mascara running down my cheeks. I asked myself how this day could get any worse, and the universe being the asshole that it always is, decided to show me who has the upper hand and how the day could indeed get worse. To eternally punish me (for what I think the universe feels like is a slap in the face, my un-naturalness that dare disrupt its perfect balance.) decided to make it rain on the day of the week that’s reserved for a white t-shirt in the uniform, there in drenching my shirt.

“Hey Brad! When did Stallings get a wet t-shirt contest?”

“Damnnnn, I dunno Nate but we need to come more often for the show!”

On the way in to work I failed to realize I had on my white work shirt, thanks to these two stooges, I was now fully aware of it. I went straight to the restroom at a painfully human speed. I locked the door, pulled my shirt off and held it under the dryer, then I began the impossible task of wiping mascara off my face. I gathered myself and my emotions and went out to work.

I went straight to my first table, and the night just didn’t seem like it was going to get any better.

“Hey Emery. Still beautiful as always I see.” Evan Bashior was one of my regulars. This has little to do with food and a lot to do with the crush he has on me. Poor Evan could have nearly any girl in this sleepy little town. He hits about 6’5 and is the cliché of tall dark and handsome. He has hard muscle from years of working on a farm (the red plaid shirt he wore tonight hugged them all the right ways), dark brown hair that hit at his eyes in the surfer style, and smooth tan skin, that’s just the looks his personality is indescribably sweet. Though all this stuff is nice about him, the first thing that struck me about him was his eyes, the left one is a bright icy blue and the right one was a green blue color with a few specks of brown. Even with all this and his gentlemanly manners going for him, he still tries his best to get me.

“Suck up!” Sam, Evans best friend picked on him. Evan laughed it off, blushing a little.

“Evan I swear you need to have your eyes checked.”

“Nope, my eyes are just fine.”

“Haha, you having your regular? Fried shrimp and fries?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Sam, bacon cheese burger and tater tots?” I asked looking at Sam who was nodding his head in agreement to my question.

“Alrighty guys, be back in a few.” I said taking up the unnecessary menus.

            On the way back to the kitchen I spotted another vampire watching me, he was at a table near the back of the deck with none other than Hanna Bashior, Evans twin sister and the other waitress. Though you couldn’t tell they were kin at all if you asked for my opinion. The only similarity the two share is they are both tall, from there they both go their separate ways. Hanna has bleached blond shoulder length wavy hair and to top the differences off she has dark, almost black eyes. Recent developments lead me to believe her soul matches her eyes. Up until recently, she was like her brother nice and kind to everyone. Now she’s nice to everyone except me. I have no idea what in the world I’ve done to offend her.  I sometimes wonder if it’s because I don’t have mutual feelings for Evan. Whatever the case she’s went out of her way to be rude to me every time she sees me lately. Right now I just wonder if she’s aware she’s with a vampire.