Chapter 8

The next morning my eyes slowly open to find myself in the same position as last night. Everyone else is still sleeping, and I decide not to wake them. Harlan's arm is still around me and it makes me slightly uncomfortable. I wriggle out of his arm and decide to make breakfast. It was going to be a long day ahead.

Cordie was the first one up as I expected, and I gave her some breakfast. It wasn't my best, but I was already too exhausted to make anything special. We talked a bit about the day ahead until everyone was up and fed.

I keep sneaking glances over at Avel, wondering what's on his mind. I'm interested in how he functions everyday with no idea what's going on.

"Staring at him isn't going to make him any less deaf, Alannah," Maeve points out with a mouth full of bread. They had stocked up at the market and had gotten plenty of food before the lit it up.

My cheeks turn red as I continue to finish my breakfast.

"So what's the plan for today?" Jax asks, wiping his mouth.

"Eliminate as much as we can," I reply.

"I love that idea," Maeve says happily, "it'll be a good time to practice my knife throwing."

Avel looks around anxiously, trying to figure out what's going on. Jax picks up on it and makes a pistol out of his hands and pretends to shoot somebody. Avel picks up and nods with a smile.

"We're trying to come up with ways to communicate with Avel so that we can understand him and he can understand us," Maeve says, "although we don't know how. Maybe with our hands I guess."

"What about sign language?" Harlan suggests, "that's how they communicate."

I look at him curiously along with the others.

"Sign language?" Jax asks, "we never learned any sign language."

"I know it," Harlan responds, and he makes hand signals to Avel. I watch in curiosity as he responds back.

"His name is Abel," Harlan replies, "he just can't pronounce it when he talks."

"Why didn't you tell us this yesterday when we mentioned of his hand signaling?" Maeve asks.

"I wasn't paying attention," Harlan smirks. "Abel says that he's eager to hunt now, and he'll use his eyes up in the trees for any news."

"Excellent," Jax says pulling the straps of his bag, "now all we need to do is split up."

"Right," I say, "Break off into threes. Obviously Harlan and Abel for communication. Maeve, you can go with them." I think for a moment. "Maybe Jax should go with them."

"I'm fine with that," Jax agrees. "Ladies, good luck."

"Meet back here at noon," I say, grabbing my bag.

The guys head out first, but Harlan waits for me.

"You sure this is a good idea? I don't like this whole splitting up thing."

I shrug, "of course. Otherwise make sure my body comes back in one piece."

He nods reluctantly and gives a salute as he joins his group. I turn and join Maeve and Cordie. But I can't help looking back at Harlan. Something is different about him.

"So, where to first?" Cordie asks, tightening her shirt.

"I was thinking up by the market-or what's left of it."

"Great idea," Maeve chimes in sarcastically, "because it'll be crawling with people who are ready to buy supplies."

"No, it's called shelter ever since you decided to blow it up."