An Unexpected Accusation

"Finally," Damon clapped his hands together, eyeing off the bottles in Caroline's hands, "the best part of the evening," he then winked at Elena and patted the empty seat next to him. He sat on the middle couch while the right couch was occupied by Stefan, and soon, Caroline. After placing the bottles onto the centre coffee table, she joined Stefan on the couch and curled her legs up beside her. He sat with his back leaning against the arm rest and slung his legs off the side.

Over the next hour or so, the bottle of wine was empty while the other bottle still had a few glasses left in it. Surprisingly, Damon hadn't drank as much as he usually would have. Stefan assumed it was because he was hoping for some action with Elena that night and that made the blonde brother drink just that little bit more. There was sometimes a slight giggle here and there as Damon would peck Elena's neck or Jeremy would slide his hand seductively over Bonnie. It was obvious to both Stefan and Caroline just how awkward Matt felt being somewhat of a fifth wheel. With the two couples, the pair would automatically associate with each other so that left Matt out usually.

"Alright," Matt said slowly, but suddenly. "I think I'm gonna go." His speech was slightly slurred and he was clearly the drunkest person in the room. "Oh, c'mon Matty! The nights not over yet," Elena reassured him, but he still got to his feet, finding his bag beside the couch and slinging it over his shoulder. "It's okay, Elena. I'm working early tomorrow anyway." Caroline let out a sudden breath of relief, knowing that she wouldn't have had to go shopping with him tomorrow if Stefan had rejected her.

Eventually, Caroline and Stefan had slowly become closer to each other on the couch. She was now sitting with her chin upon her knees while Stefan had his arm over the back of the couch, their legs touching. Stefan noticed how Matt was looking at Caroline and how he would subtly glimpse over to him. He raised an eyebrow as Matt opened his mouth: "at least they have one less ex to deal with so it's not as awkward when they finally have sex with each other later," he said, pointing at the pair, who awkwardly shuffled in their positions.

"Matt!" Elena called, as all eyes landed on him, and then on Stefan and Caroline. "or.." Matt said slowly, "you've already been there.." He chuckled in a somewhat expected way. Everyone's eyes widened and Damon whistled a sarcastic tune quietly to himself. "Matt, I think you should leave now," Stefan protested, getting to his feet. Caroline, with her mouth open, tightened her grip around her ankles and didn't say a word. She was utterly shocked at Matt's sudden inappropriate behavior. Elena cocked her head to the side as Damon joined her by Matt's side: "yeah man, I'll call you a cab," he offered, pulling out his cellphone and dialing a number. "No, don't Damon." Matt said coldly, taking a step backwards from Elena and him, "I'll walk." And with that, he stormed out the door and the group was left in an ear-piercing silence.

After a moment, Stefan turned his head and looked down to Caroline. He should've known that it couldn't work, he thought, before storming out of the room and out onto the front porch. He slammed the door, only catching a half a second glimpse of Matt as he made his way down the sidewalk.