Miracle is another name for hard work.

I sat on the bed, unable to move a muscle. There wasn't a single part of my body that didn't ache. The pain was so intense I felt like crying out loud, but it would take an effort to cry even.

I had come down  with chicken pox last week, and have been totally covered in small pimples. It was pain I had never experienced before, but wait, that's not the worst part. I missed my friends, and school so badly. Fifteen days without them, well that's a lot to count.

At least they should have called and wish you a quick recovery. My heart complained. Yes, they were my friends. My so-called-friends. But when I needed them no one even bothered to keep in contact. Not even the bestest friends.

I was awaken from my thoughts, by the sound of someone arguing. Must be my aunt and mom. Ugh! How I hate them fighting. Though they loved each other, they always disagreed on something.

Suddenly, the door to my room opened wide, and my aunt walked in. She looked really pissed off. My mom followed, teary eyed. Okay, what the hell was going on?

"Stupid people, what do they think of themselves?" My aunt ruby raged on.

"Whatever they say, you are still a thousand times better than them, okay darling?" She said, smiling towards me. My mom stood near the door, depression written all over her face.

"What is going on?" I cracked, barely able to say anything.

"The attack of the backbiters." She sighed and I knew everything at once.

 The back biters were the uncivilized people of our society, who had nothing better to do than sit around at hen parties, gossiping about every little thing. Apparently, I had become their target now.

"They think you deserve this disease. Those dim-wits think that you got it because even god never wanted you to be successful in life. Otherwise, you wouldn't have gotten it in the middle of the exams. Damn those people. They think you shouldn't be given the chance and ability to study, because your family isn't one of those with intelligent and famous people. They think a girl, whose father and mother aren't both there with her always, should be treated differently. Those lowlifes!" She said everything in a long chain, and stopped for a breath. Just then, grandpa peeked into the room.

"Are you okay dear? Don't listen to them, they are nothing but small minded. And Ruby, why are you disturbing her with stupid words? Go and do your chores, now!" He ordered. I smiled, glad I had a family like this. Aunt ruby kissed me on the forehead and left quickly.

When they left, mom came and sat beside me. She hugged me tightly and I became aware that tears were wetting my shoulder. I was hurt, but it can't be compared to what she must be feeling. Raising a kid for 13 long years, all alone must be a really painful thing. To see that child being teased, because of her painful divorce must be even more painful. To know that the main reason for the harassments, was the educational background of the family, well she must be really embarrassed. Anger bubbled up inside me.

She cried like that for a long time, and asked for forgiveness a thousand times, for not being a mother I could be proud of. My heart kept breaking with every tear. What were they? Why are they disturbing us? I get it, They lead a perfect life, so why disturb us? I know about their bad deeds, but did I say anything? No. So why don't they shut up? Their kids are prettier than me, smarter, intelligent. I never wanted to be the best. My only dream was to have a peaceful  life.  But this called for a change of plans.

"Don't worry mom. They won't have their way in this. I'll make them realize how wrong they were. I'm going to bring you fame and reputation. Believe in me, be my support, and I will prove that we are worth it. This is an oath. Wallahi I will achieve this!" I wiped away her tears, making a decision about my future. I wasn't going to sit back and watch anymore. It's time I did something to shut their mouths.