Chapter 2

Seeing him walk through those doors for a second time in one day was like, well no, it was Bibi punching my shoulder with all the strength she had. Telling me, "He's HERE," as if I wasn't already staring directly at him.

It was time. I clocked out, hung up my apron, and stepped, stepped, stepped, slowly over to him.

"Hey," I forced the two sides of my mouth to show my teeth.

"Hi Steven, you wanna go?" He had his hands in his pockets and he half tilted his head towards the door.

I nodded my head and went to push the door open but he, excitedly, got in front of me and held it for me.

"Thank you," I awkwardly walked through.

We continued walking for a short bit, though I had no idea what was going on in his brain. "I'm sorry," I chuckled a bit, "I don't think I ever got your name?"

He stopped, "It's Sal." He smiled and reached his hand toward me, "It's nice to meet you."

I laughed a little and received his handshake. No doubt, it was practiced and firm, matching his stupid tie perfectly.

He laughed a little bit too.

"I'm sorry this is so awkward," He began to scratch his head, "I've never asked someone to lunch like this before."

Without thinking I reacted, "Really???"

His look became even more pained, shown by the lines on his head and between his eyebrows. "I mean, I've asked people out to lunch before just not like complete strangers."

I stopped thinking for a second and then realized that this was relieving. I sighed and laughed again, "Don't worry, this is the first time a customer has asked me out so we're equally out of our comfort zone."

We walked for a little bit and he lead the way.

"So I was thinking we get sandwiches or something for lunch. If you don't want that it's fine I just figured going to a cafe was a no."

"Oh please, sometimes it feels like I never want to see donuts and scones ever again."

"There's also sushi right near here, if you would prefer that. Do you like sushi?"

"I actually love sushi. Would you rather raw fish than a good 'ole turkey and cheddar though?"

"Anything is fine. I asked you out to this awkward lunch date so if you prefer sushi then that's what it'll be," He rounded a corner and then pointed to a red writing on black sign, sign which read something I couldn't read in Japanese. Probably because I don't know Japanese.

As we walked with this weird mix of awkwardness and I guess I don't mind being here the word "date" dawned on me. He meant friendly date, right? Not like potential significant other date, right? The more I thought the more I felt my stomach churn. It's all in your head. It's all in your head. This isn't as big a deal as you're making it. He just wants to get to know you. Maybe you're curious about him too.

It felt as though I had spent an hour within my brain, reassuring myself. He took notice.

"Are you... okay? We don't have to get sushi. You don't even have to get lunch with me if you don't want to."

I snapped out of it, "Sal. Don't worry. I'm fine."

The hostess saw us, such a mismatched pair, arrive and seated us at at a table close to the window. What's funny about us is we both were wearing collared shirts, except I had a strange pastel striped pattern going across it with short sleeves and his was a perfect white with long sleeves and he had a very skinny tie running from his neckline, down just to his belt buckle. Though they were truly very similar articles of clothing, we looked completely different. Funny enough, his hair looked slightly overgrown and messy, juxtaposing his rounded, nerdy glasses and mine was shaved at the sides, so it was kinda hard for it to get too messy.