intro

"So it's our last year of high school." My best friend, Jem, says as she stomps out her cigarette.
"About time, then we're finally free," I laugh, "Let's go in, class started fifteen minutes ago."
"Hold on, I told Justin I'd meet him out here." I roll my eyes at her long time boyfriend and their very dependent relationship. She nudges me just as he comes up the sidewalk and in one swift motion kisses Jem.
"Come on lovebirds." I say and start the walk to my first hour.

I walk in and all heads turn to me.
"Whoops, am I late?" I snicker. The door opens and a tall boy with dark brown hair gelled to a messy perfection walks in.
"Make that two tardies." He laughs.
"Take a seat you two, unfortunately human anatomy will not wait for you." The teacher grumbles and begins teaching again.
"I'm Tanner, by the way." He winks.
"And you wreak of new kid." I roll my eyes and begin to walk to a seat in the back.
"Thanks, doll face." I turn around and glare at him and he follows me to the back, making himself comfortable in the seat next to me.
"So do you have an actual name?" He smirks at the end of class.
"Carmen." I slide my arms into my backpack loops and toss it onto my back.
"Doll face is a lot better." He smiles at me.
"I liked you a lot better, before you walked into this class." I say as I open the door.
"See you, doll face." He winks and walks in the opposite direction.