C H A P T E R : XXV

Chapter 25: The Torture Room

Thursday, October 30

Afternoon

Ashlynn

                 MY HEART POUNDS AS I drive, slowing down at the stop sign. I take the moment to catch my breath. Droplets of Seattle rain calmly tap against the window. I watch them tap freely and then melt, strolling down the glass in pairs. I turn on my windshield wipers and proceed down the road. Looking around for Elmhurst Avenue, I turn the corner, unto the street where every house looks the same: tan bricks, with stout chimneys on the side, with white three-car garages, and a row of windows next to the matching white storm door. However, I have Eric's committed to memory. It's the one with the asymmetrical tree in front with more leaves on the left than the right, and small bushes along the walk leading up to the door. There are exactly eight shrubs, four on each side. I can't count the times that I counted them as he lead me along the walkway. Sometimes I would count them to make sure they were the same number as last time so I could ensure myself that this was real. I knew it as sure as I knew that our love was true. I nodded to myself, reassuring myself. As I parked in the driveway, I twisted my key, turning the ignition off and the car was silent. All I can hear is the soft tapping of the rain against the windows. I sit there, with my hands on the wheel for a second, just to think everything over. I was going to fix this.

                 Slipping my keys into my jacket pocket, I open the car and step out into

the rain. Taking in a breath, I stride up to walkway, not even counting the shrubs, and ring the doorbell. I wait there for a few minutes that seem like much longer, before I ring it again, and again. Nothing.

I turn around to go, but can't help but see him through the tall windows next to the door, looking into the living room. I see him holding a girl, kissing her, and leaning her down on the couch. I see him taking off his shirt, as the girl's hands pull down his pants. I can't see her face, but I see her long, blonde, wavy hair cascade down the back of the couch. I could recognize the strawberry strands anywhere. Tears pricked my eyes and trickled down my cheeks with the rain. I turn to run to my car and the second I do, I trip over one of the shrubs. I fall hard on my arm, and the grass blades prick me. I get up holding it. When I rise, I see both of them looking at me through the window. Ciara's eyes lock with mine, just as tears prick mine. It looked like she wanted to move, but couldn't. I run away before she can. 

***

Afternoon

Hayden

               Without a second thought, I opened the portal to Hell and dove through. Anger consumed me, and I wanted to get out of there before I ruined something even further. I knew I shouldn't have told her the truth, but I got so mad I just...

"HAYDEN!" I heard a booming voice yell.

Father, I thought. I hadn't heard my name yelled like that since I used to ask about things like why I was born a demon, and why I was destined to be evil. I hadn't heard my name yelled like that since I used to ask why I couldn't be an angel, or even human. I hadn't heard my name yelled like that since I used to ask about mom.

            I blinked, and my eyes opened to see the dungeon's chambers. I looked around at the tall gray walls, lined with empty chains and shackles, that hung like dead limbs. Ropes and batons lined the floors, and smears of blood shone like a pattern used to decorate the room. The decor was an electric chair, a guillotine, and other torture devices. This was a torture room designated for the most sinister of sinners.