When The Sky Falls

She had to heal him.

More magic... More magic! If only she had more magic, she wouldn't be struggling. Her teammates were suffering in this battle against Acnologia all because of her.

If only she had more magic, more magic, she could heal them!

She had to heal them. If she didn't, they would die. They would all die. Because of her weakness, Natsu was about to be struck by the King of Dragon's claw.

If she healed him, he wouldn't be struggling.

Yet he is.

"Natsu-san! I'll protect you!" She was so weak. So utterly useless. All the other dragon slayers were fighting, risking their lives. She was only in the background.

"Wendy! Don't come out here! It's dangerous!" The pink haired man screamed, "You're the healer! Stay in the back!"

"I need to protect you, Natsu-san!" She ran to the battlefield.

A choice that altered the rest of her short lived life.

Wendy Marvell wasn't always weak, she didn't always consider herself useless.

In fact, if this had been the first battle in this war, she would of been okay. This wouldn't have happened. She wouldn't have been weak. She wouldn't have already of been traumatized. She wouldn't have been hurt.

First, she and Sherria fought Dimaria, exerting their strength. Not only did Carla almost die for her, Sherria lost her magic for her, and more than likely, Ultear lost years of her life to protect her.

What did Wendy do? In her opinion, nothing. She just made her friends suffer.

Following this, she meets up with Erza, and aids her. She tries to fight, but ends up becoming Eileen's vessel, making Erza unable to attack her, not wanting to harm her. Making the situation worse. Making Erza struggle.

She wasn't there when Makarov died. She didn't heal him. She should of. But he ended up dying.

The first died, too.

Anna and Ichiya both risked their lives for her.

For the world.

And what did she do? She just watched. Watched as they went in a time lapse, baited a dragon, and died honorably.

Now, for someone as young as twelve years to go through all this trauma, all this pain, it was unspeakably unfair.

But that's what happens in war, and life's not fair.

"Natsu-san!" She then saw Erik, struggling. "Cobra!" Next, Laxus. "Laxus-san!" Sting and Rogue. "Sting-san! Rogue-san!" Finally, Gajeel. All struggling.

Who should she heal first? Whose woulds should she tend to? Who could she cure? Would they die before she got to them?

Then, she heard screams.

Screams of agony. She wasn't fast enough, and Natsu had been struck with the dragon claw.

She looked away for a second and he was hit.