Chapter One

You can either laugh or cry

Ones a sign of weakness and the other gives you wrinkles...

Tough choice.

At night, I like to stargaze. To listen to the crunch of leaves, and the hum of cicadas. To feel night's cool breeze sweep over me and relish in its embrace. Although human, I maintain that darkness is my true domain. It comforting, you know? Not knowing for sure what's around you; relying on more than your eyes to navigate your surroundings - yes, the epitome of comfort.

Tonight, I'm determined to enjoy myself.

And if that means ignoring the constant howls of the nightguards, then so be it.

I mean really, who's really planning to attack an inner rim werewolf pack at midnight anyways? This is the precise time packs are ready and waiting for rogues and enemies, when it's most likely to be well guarded. You'd think that the stupid mutts could lessen up on the patrols but nope! I get to listen to Kyle use his baby voice on his mate ALL. NIGHT. LONG.

Wolves are so fucking sappy with their women. It's pathetic.

Grabbing a throw off my couch, I headed outside to my regular spot - a hammock strung up between two oaks. Tonight is just a tad cooler than what I'd consider comfortable, so the blanket is a necessity. Curling into myself, I let the surrounding nature consume my thoughts.

Wing whooshing and winding through the leaves fills my ears.

My nostrils fill with the scent of the grass, right after it rains. You know the one? If you don't know it, you aren't living.

It's so peaceful, so perfect.

So ready to be interrupted...

Leaves crunching in heavy steps. Shouting. Yelling.

Howling.

Getting louder, closer. Howling turned to growling, the unforgettable sound of bones crunching, shifting from human to wolf.

Welp, I guess my nights over now, I think to myself. Definitely don't wanna get tangled up in pack business...not again. Last time, I ended up with four wolves camped out in my living room...their fur was useful for some charms, but that's not the point. Gods it was a pain in the ass scrubbing muddy paw prints off the carpet, and that rug never smelled clean again.

I shake my head to clear the inner dialogue. They say that talking to yourself isn't great for your health, but I don't mind the conversation. I think I'm hilarious.

Untangling my limbs from the throw, I begin the task of escaping the nylon hammock. For those who've never had the pleasure, it can be difficult, not to mention that it's just about the least graceful looking (and feeling) motion.

With some serious skill, I rolled out of the hammock, sticking the landing - well, I got up WITHOUT rubbing my face in the dirt. In my book, that's about as successful as it gets.

"Ahem"

I look up to see a very buff, and very naked, guard staring at me in a mix of what looks like slight amusement, and disinterest. Holding my head high, I brush my dirt covered hands onto my shorts, before placing them securely in my pockets.

"How can I help you?" I ask, feigning concern. "Sounded like trouble, everything alright?" Bet this mutt thinks I care. Pfft.

"You know, as a pack member, it's your duty to protect the territory - I should tell the alpha of your glaring lack of packmenship." The mutt smirked, basking in the little authority he was afforded by his low level position.

Shrugging, "I was preoccupied," I informed him. "Last time I checked, we humans were weaklings that required protecting, not the protectors. Seems to me like security is a wolf problem."

His eyes squinted and his smirk turned into a scowl, probably displeased since, unlike the the majority of the dogs in this territory, I'm not naturally reactive to his aura of power. That kinda shit just doesn't influence humans.

"Return to your home, citizen." he commanded with a curt not.

"With pleasure, officer." With a sickly-sweet smile, I turned on my heel and walked swiftly stepped into my house, giving the door a small, however noticeable slam for some added umph.

Through my door, the naked wolf provided a small piece of information. "We are on lockdown until further notice, human. Refr-"

"Lyra." I provide, cutting him off.

One long sigh later he continued, "Refrain from leaving your residence. Alpha's orders." And he was off, his obnoxious footsteps fading into the distance.

Tonight could've been worse, but I get the feeling that it's only just begun.