The Small Cave

"Where are we going?" Asked Caitlin as they stepped out of the woods, "We've got to get him to a hospital!"

Luke continued to walk quickly through the field, making Caitlin have to jog to keep up. "They'll ask questions."

"So," Caitlin continued, "We can answer them!"

"No, we can't"

Caitlin stopped dead in her tracks. "What is going on Luke?"

He turned to face her, looking a bit figity. His hands were restless at his sides, like he couldn't keep them still, and he kept shifting his weight from one foot to another. Sweat was glistening on his forehead as he reached up and ran his fingers through his hair, ruffling it up. "Just come on, Hannah can explain." And with that, he strode on.

~~***~~

For the majority of the walk back to their houses, Luke was silent. This gave Caitlin too much time to think. Usually, he was joking around and always had something to say, which worried Caitlin. He seemed to know something about Scout. That he didn't want to share. She clutched her dog tighter to her chest as they where walking past the last block up to her and Luke's houses. He just lived a couple of houses up and across the road from her, and they had known each other since they where very little. The two of them passed by the tree that was on a little island in the middle of the road, the exact middle point between their houses; they had measured it many times. It was a willow tree, with white bark and light green leaves hanging down, hiding the branches that she and her friends liked to climb in.

They walked up the drive to Luke's house. There was a path leading up to the front door that had long dark grass growing on one side of it and Luke's parents red car parked on the other. The house had steps going up to a little under cover platform before the door, and a narrow alley with on iron fence at the end leading round to the back garden. There was one large window at the front of the house, to the left of the front door, but the rest of the windows were pretty tiny. Caitlin could see a dream catcher hanging in one of the windows.

Luke went to unlock the brown wooden door as a voice called from the inside, "Its open!"

Caitlin nudged open the door with her foot and walked into the familiar house with scout in her arms. The front of the house was like an open square hallway with the stairs on the right hand side with a little cupboard before them, and a half wall on the left, looking into the living room. In front of them after the stairs was a door to the kitchen, and on the right side of that, joined onto the living room by a doorless arch, was a large room with a table in the centre and a piano against the wall.

In the living room was a girl in shorts and an orange top staring at a game on the screen on the far wall. She had very dark brown wavy hair which was currently tied back in two long braids and brown eyes framed with rectangular glasses. "Hey, Luke. Hi, Caitlin." She called back to them.

"Hey, Hannah," Luke replied to his sister at the same time Caitlin said, "Hi"

Hannah put down the controller, and turned around. "So, what have you two been up to?" She said as she winked at Caitlin.

"Really, Hannah?" Luke asked.

Then her eyes found Scout and widened. She leapt out of her seat and crossed the room in two fast strides. "What happened? Tell me everything!" She exclaimed. Caitlin put Scout down and Hannah crouched down, beginning to stroke him and check him over to see what was wrong with him. As she did, Caitlin noticed Hannah's hands pause when they reached the cut, like hers did.