Prolouge

Stealing was never something I wanted to do. It was more of a necessity. Something that needed to be done. But not everyone looks at it that way.

Sure, I'm stealing. But i have a reason. A really important one.

Right now, I'm running. Running as fast as I can to the nearest exit. Which seems to be blocked. Damn it.

My dark brown eyes scan the walls to the most lively place in town. I have to get out... this can't be the end.

This is the worst time to not have an element to summon.

"Come back here you thief!" Mr. Castellano, the owner of the food market bellowed, causing everyone in the vicinity to jump. My eyes scan the perimeter of the market, looking for any brink in security.

Suddenly, my eyes pass over a stack of hay surrounded my two security guards that could help me scale the wooden gate

Found it.

"Sorry sir! Just add it to my tab!" I smirk and laugh, using the stack of hay to hoist myself over the wooden gate that is supposed to prevent stuff like this. I mean, what was Mr. C thinking? He can't just build a fence and not expect someone to jump over it. I should give him props though, he caught me by sur—

"Oof!" I groan in pain as I crash into a hard, but familiar chest. "Have you been working out, Kyson? I swear your chest got harder since last time I bumped into you." I rub my head while picking up the fruit and wrapped meat I dropped.

Kyson laughs heartily, reaching a hand out to me to help me up.

"It's not my fault you were running like no tomorrow. What were you doing in town anyway? You know you have to hide. If you get caught.... you know what the League will do to you. They don't care about the Rouge like us. We aren't like them, Dimitri."

I scowl and roll my eyes. "You aren't part of the we. It's not my fault I didn't get my element. It's not my little brothers fault they didn't get their elements. It's any of the people back at camp fault they didn't get their elements either. Lucky you though, you got yours."

Kyson sighs and ruffles my dark curly hair. "I'll find a way for them to accept you. I promise."

"Yeah, whatever." I dust myself off and put the heavy bag over my shoulder. "Meet me on Hye Boulder, will you? Before you go, I have something to give to you."

Kyson nods and gives me a quick hug before going off on his way.

I swear that boy drives me nuts sometimes.

Wiping off the beads of sweat from my forehead, I hike back up to camp.

We are the Rouge. Not because we chose to be, but because we were born to be. When each of us turned 6, we were supposed to get our element. But we didn't. So we were thrown out. We were discriminated against and tortured, just because we were different from anybody else. Kyson was born in the Rouge camp, but he got his element. I was born in town, but I didn't get mine. Neither did my little brothers, who I only got to know by checking on my real family every once in a while.

I hate them. My parents. They were cowards to throw us out like nothing. Sure they were crying. But they didn't fight. They didn't try their hardest to keep us. And I guess that's why I hold such resentment towards them.

Finally I reach the top of the mountain, and stare down at my home in the valley. The sun glistening against the beautiful river that provides water for us. The river flowing against the bank that provides food and earth. The grass waving to the wind and the wind making the water flow.

We don't need elements.

Suddenly, a tiny voice interrupts my thoughts.

"Mitri! Mitri! Look what me and Jackson did!!" My little brother Xavier pulls down the hem of my shirt gently to show me a drawing he and his brother made. It looked to be made from color pencils, no doubt the ones I stole for them. It was of me holding each of their hands.

"Good job, little guys! It looks awesome." I ruffle their hair, smiling down at them. "I love it."

Xavier grins while Jackson just nods.

Polar opposites, but I guess that what just makes them amazing friends.

Suddenly, a dove flies overhead, dropping a letter in my hands.

I tear it open, suspecting it to be some sort of apology letter my parents have been sending me for years. However, I was shocked when it was a letter from Elysian Academy.

Hello, Dimitri Blackthorne

We present to you this letter to accept you to our renowned Elysian Academy of Beast Slaying. We have received knowledge of your skills in archery, swordplay and agility. Special adjustments will be provided for lack of an element.
Uniform will be provided on campus, along with the school crest, list of supplies and schedule.
Also, it is a tradition to duel with one of the Elias Ten as an evaluation of your skills.

We hope to see you soon.
Headmaster Octavian.

I got accepted?

How did I get accepted if I didn't apply in the first place?