Prologue

"IN WHICH AN ANGEL FINDS A DEMON PLAYING IN THE GARDEN OF EDEN"

          LUCIFER WALKED PROUDLY AWAY from his Father, the archangel's golden armor shining in the bright light. He had, finally, received a mission from God. Two angels had gone missing, and, for some reason, it was important that Lucifer, and only Lucifer, was sent to go find what had caused this.

          And so the archangel set out, flying slowly around the world to try and spot his quarry, whatever it was. Suddenly, he stopped in mid air. What was that? No, not there. Over there by that tree. Lucifer flew in closer, nearly falling out of the air in shock when he realized that it was indeed the corpse of one of the two missing angels.

        He touched down onto the earth lightly, his sword already out of it's sheath. And then he heard it: laughter. Loud, bubbling laughter, the sound floating through the air of the garden. Following the sound, Lucifer slowly moved around the tree, his eyes widening when he saw her. Of an average height, the girl had dark skin and pitch black hair, and her eyes were a shining purple. And sitting across from her on the grass was a corpse.

          Shocked, Lucifer stepped back quickly, accidentally placing his foot down on a stick which cracked rather loudly. The girl immediately turned around, grinning when she saw the archangel. "Have you come to join the party?" she asked quickly. "Please tell me you have, that would be ever so fun!" "I-I suppose I have," Lucifer stammered out, sheathing his sword and walking towards her. "Who're your friends?" he added, gesturing to the dead angels.

          The girl's eyes clouded slightly. "I'm not entirely sure," she said sadly. "I went to say hello, but then their necks made a cracking sound and they stopped talking." Lucifer swallowed. There was something very wrong about this girl. "Hmm," he said, trying to keep his voice gentle, "that's strange. I have an idea, though." The girl perked up, the momentary clouds going away. "What?" she chirped looking eagerly at the archangel. "Why don't you come with me? My family would like to meet you," he finished. The girl paused, before nodding her head slowly. "That sounds good."

        "Let's go then," Lucifer said, noticing the girl's wings. "It's just over there." Grabbing on to the archangel's outstretched hand, the girl smiled again, starting to relax. "By the way," Lucifer said, just before they took off, "I'm called Lucifer. Do you have a name?"

          "Zenra," she said, her voice proud and fierce. "My name is Zenra Cileri, and I'm a demon."