Kingdom of Metus(shapeshifter story)

This is just a preview to a possible story of mine. I'm working on my action scenes and this is probably my best one yet. So let me know what you think.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 1

              “Now!” Luke called to us over the buzzing of bullets around us. Adrenaline rushed through me as I gripped my shotgun tightly in my trembling hands.

              Halley and Daniel were kneeling beside me as I slowly peered over the car we were hiding behind. It’s not going to be easy finding a clear shot to hit the target. “This is impossible, unless we make a plan.” Halley shouted as she looked around for any danger.

              I know Luke wanted us to stick to our original plan, but, to be honest, his plan sucks. I’m not just going to sit here and hide until they get close enough to attack. That’s stupid. Time to put my own plan into action. “Cover me.” I said as I slowly stood up. However, Halley reached and latched onto my shirt before I could charge the enemy.

              “No, Viv. We’re supposed to stick together!”

              “Which is exactly why I said ‘cover me.’” I peered once more at the enemy, and then, for some odd reason, shifted my gaze toward Daniel. “Are you going to help me or not?” He looked at me with those soft blue eyes of his and nodded.

              “Let’s go.” Before Halley could stop me again, Daniel and I were already standing with our guns at hand. As we headed towards the enemy, I could hear Halley, Luke, and Jenna screaming at us to stop. Ignoring them, Daniel and I cocked our weapons and charged at the great big beasts. “Viv, let’s confuse them!” Daniel said as we dodged multiple bullets. I managed a smile and nodded in agreement.

              Without hesitation and completely ignoring our watchers, I slung my gun around my back and triggered my inner animal. I decided to run to make the transformation a bit faster than usual. My clothes began to disappear into my skin, briefly revealing my naked body that I’ve finally gotten used to. Suddenly, the point of nudity was over once I started to sprout dark grey fur and my bones began to shrink ‘til I was standing on all fours. The change was a lot less painful than usual (probably because I’ve gotten so used to it).

              Once I was completely transformed, I picked up my speed and ran toward the enemy. The idiots were desperately trying to shoot me as I scurried around in ridiculous circles. To my left, I could just make out Daniel in his animal form as he lunged at the enemy with razor sharp claws, gnarring teeth, and wide strong muscles. He growled as he tore at the enemy until there was nothing left but shreds. He must have noticed that the beast was distracted by my constant scurrying, because before I could react, Daniel had already ambushed him and did the same thing he did to the last one. It’s amazing how he turns into such a savage beast when he is the sweetest guy I know.

              At the same time, we returned to our human form. I still don’t know what happens to our weapons when we change, but whenever we return, they are always equipped with us. Weird. Daniel and I held our guns out waiting for another wave of beasts to come our way. Only they never did.

              The ruined city landscape started to disappear right before my eyes. The car we were hiding behind before went away revealing my angry looking team members. The floors and walls went back to being white. Jenna and Halley stood up while Luke threw his gun on the floor, kicked it to the side and stomped toward me, not Daniel, me.

              “What the hell were you thinking?!” He said as he yelled at me with extreme anger. He suddenly grabbed the collar of my shirt and pulled me close to his him. I was suddenly staring into his dark amber eyes. His grasp surprised me so much that it caused me to drop my gun. “What part of ‘stick together’ do you not understand? You’re reckless behavior could’ve gotten us all killed!” He way more angry than usual. The fact that he was so angry with me made me feel a bit guilty. “If that were the real thing, you, and all of us, would be dead!”

              “I saw an opening and I took it. End of story.” I said not wanting to show weakness. I mean seriously, this is the third time this week that he’s yelled at me. You’d think I’d get the message by now.

              All I know is that I really screwed up this time.