Prologue

Langston Hughes High School of Arts
Year 2O14

I remember when I was 14 and I walked up to the school's building. Finally a freshman in high school, I remember I was in junior high, running around having fun with my peers. But now, here I am ... a professional dancer and singer. But, let me tell you all about my journey, as a successful dancer and singer. I've had some hard times, well a lot of hard times. But I made it just fine, with the help of one person, that I wouldn't be able to live without. Christopher Maurice Brown. Now, let's get to the story ...

Year 2OO2

I remember walking up ten steps, holding onto the railing. As I grabbed the door and swung it open, there were kids everywhere. On my left there was a group of boys singing, they must be a Quartet. Then there were the group of children playing the classical string instruments. You know the violins, cello, viola, bass. Yea, them.

On my right there was the rock gang, they were playing the guitar and drums. I then, walked past a group of 4 girls, singing Pretty Wings by Maxwell. I stopped and listened, they were good. They were harmonizing really well, then one girl hit a falsetto. She sounded a-maz-ing.

Then, as I began moving on, there was one group that really stood out to me, yes...They were singers but they danced also. I stopped and did my observations. They were having the time of their lives. I bobbed my head to the beat, as their dj played the beats. One guy got on the floor and began break dancing, I giggled as he spun and did killer tricks on the floor. He got up and did a pose and stuck his tongue out. He winked at me and went back to the group of pumped up kids.

Then there was him, he got on the floor and began tutting and bringing his arm all they way back. I smiled in amazement, he came in front of me and danced. I smiled and dropped my bag on the floor.

"Aye you guys, looks like we have a little competitor over here." He called out, as he looked me in my eyes. They all oohed.

"What you do?" He asked, in a slang. I smirked.

"I dance." I responded. He nodded.

"Oh yea?" He started. "Show us what you got, hot shot."

"Hmm, we'll see who's talking when I finish. Yo, drop the beat!" I told the DJ.

He put his hands up in surrender and stepped back, moving out of my way.

As soon as that bass dropped, I began droppin moves like no other. I just let the music control me. Then, the guy came up to me and began crimping.

And this ladies and gentlemen, is how I met the man that totally changed my life.