Chapter One

Langston Hughes High School Of Arts
Cafeteria

I walked into the lunch room, as the sound of teens' laughter and loud conversations bombarded me. I looked around and saw all different types of students. Some were singing together, making beats, and  freestyling. I smiled a little bit and looked towards the line to get my lunch.

I got behind the line and grabbed a tray, waiting patiently to get the food of my choice. As I was walking down the line, I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned around and saw a girl, she was pale looking, she had pitch black hair with blue highlights, she wore mahogany red lipstick and black eyeshadow with mascara. She was fairly my height and she was a little skinny, but she had a nice figure, for a white girl. Let along she was gorgeous in the face.

"Hi, I was wondering if you were gonna eat that apple?" She asked, as she pointed towards the apple on my plate.

"Um, sure..."I said awkwardly, as I passed her my apple, "I don't even eat apples."

"Thanks. You're new here?" Emily asked.

"Yes, I'm a freshman." I smiled. "Are you a Sophomore?"

"No. Not yet, I'm a freshman." She stated. "I'm Emily, by the way."

She stretched her hand out for me to shake, I shook her hand and smiled.

"Layla."

"Well, Layla. Welcome to Langston Hughes High School of the Arts. Where your choices become dreams!" She said, in a manly voice. I giggled, as she began giggling also.

Soon, I got out of the line simply because, I got my lunch. I looked around looking for a table. But they all were full. Eyes were looking at me, some boys were gawking at me and some girls were giving me dirty looks. Eh, but I could care less. I'm not here to impress anyone, but myself.

"Hey, wanna hang with me and my crew?" Emily asked, as she walked up next to me.

"Um, sure." I said.

She lead me towards the back, where there was a table full of kids that were laughing. I stood there timidly, as Emily cleared her throat to get the group's attention.

"Guys!!" She screeched. Everyone looked over at her. "I made a new friend."

I looked at Emily. Friend??

"Guys, Layla. Layla, this is the PSD Crew." She introduced. I shyly waved to them. "Also known as, the Potential Street Dance Crew."

"Heyy Laylaaa!" They all exclaimed in unison, except for one guy in the back. I smiled a bit.

One guy came up to me and grabbed my hand and kissed it, he looked up at me.

"Hola, mi amor." He spoke.

Oh my god, that's the guy who was break dancing on the floor!! He is so fine.

"The name, is Juan." He flirted, as he held onto my hand.

"Ahh, get off of her. She don't want you Juan." Emily bugged, as she pushed him.

Yeah right, try telling my ovaries that..

"Aye, I was trying to spit my game, Em. You a cock blocker, I swear!" He fussed, as his Hispanic accent came out. I giggled.

"Yo, Chris." Emily called out. I sat my tray down and stood next to Emily.

Not long before, a guy stood in front of us. I looked at his face, and it was the guy I battled. I folded my arms and smirked. He looked at me and smirked also.