1

Bethany sat on the bed staring into space

Bethany sat on the bed staring into space. She had not been out of the room since two days ago unless it was to go get food from the broken down vend machine in the motel lobby. She blinked and focused when the sound of a vacuum drifted through the paper thin walls indicating that housekeeping was now on duty.

It had been three weeks since she had checked into the motel which meant three weeks since she's been getting turned down for every job she had applied for. The money in her account had ran out and she had now resorted to selling anything from the storage space that she had rented in order to pay for storage rent, motel cost and food.

It was the end of the world.

She forced herself to get up from the bed and walk to the bathroom where she took a few minutes to stand staring blankly into the mirror at a reflection she hardly recognized. There are days the tiredness comes in both forms, physical and mental. Her body needed to rest yet her mind needed her body to move, to burn the anxiety right out.

Bethany sighed and slumped against the bathroom counter. Tired eyes stared back at her set on a pale face that once was rosy and healthy, now looked hollow and pale. She quickly looked away and reached for the tap and splashed her face with cold water. She brushed her teeth and stripped out of her musty clothes and stepped into the shower. The water pours down, it drips by her side, as her mind faded into dullness and everything is a foggy illusion. The sensation of the steamy water calms her; it takes her mind of things for just a while.

As the warm water hit her skin she closed her eyes and tried to picture herself on vacation in the Caribbean and the warm water that ran down her skin was really the warm ocean. Her temporary daydreaming was broken by the ringing of her cell phone. She quickly turned the shower off and grabbed a towel, wrapping it around herself as she rushed to get the phone.

"Hello!" She listened as the woman on the other line informed her that she was calling to remind her about her interview that was scheduled to be in the next half an hour. Sure enough she looked at her phone and saw that she indeed had a voicemail. "I'll be there thank you"

She tossed her phone on the bed and quickly changed into a dress suit that she had left laid out from the last interview she had. She quickly ran a comb through her hair and pulled it into a not so neat bun, grabbed her phone and tossed it into her purse as she ran out the door.

She hurried down the hall her footsteps quieted by the swirled designed carpet as her feet thumped on the floor. She pushed the side door open and immediately the cool winter air hit her face like a thousand needles piercing her skin all at once. Her eyes immediately teared up at the unpleasant feeling. A woman on a mission she didn't slow down, she ran through the motel parking lot as she hurried to get across the street to the bus stop.

She got to a traffic light and hit the crossing button and waited for her signal to cross. As the signal changed she moved to get across the street occasionally glancing at the cars that stopped at the red light. Oh how she missed the leisure of driving her own vehicle. A vehicle that had been repossessed a month before she got kicked out of her house.