Chapter 9

"Jonah?" I walked into his room after it had gotten dark. I didn't like being in my room alone, and I knew that he didn't either. He was fast asleep. 

    My room was dark, so I turned on the lights and read for an hour or two before falling asleep.

    The little girl started to cry as the door opened, and her abuser walked into the shack. She had worried all day about what would happen once he was there. She told herself that she wouldn't cry. She would be strong. Now that happening, she couldn't handle it. He grabbed her hand and made her stand up. She threw up on him.

    "Oh no. You seem to be getting a little ill. No worries. I know it's sad, and you'll probably be mad at me, but I cannot pleasure you tonight, my dear. I can't be getting sick, now can I?" He kissed her small hand and walked out of the shack.

    The girl collapsed from relief and fell asleep, knowing that she was safe for one more night. 

    A shrill scream snapped me out of my sleeping state. It was blood-curdling and I could never unhear it. 

    My eyes snapped open and I looked all around my room. Figures stood in each corner. All children. All with their mouths sewn shut. I squeezed my eyes shut and prayed that when I opened them, everything would be gone. I prayed that I would be back home with my mom and dad. I prayed that none of this would have ever happened. But of course, it was only a thought. They were never coming back. 

    As soon as I opened my eyes, the figures jumped toward me, and everything went black.

    "Caitlyn? Caitlyn, get up!" Jonah shook my arm.

    "Fine..." I groaned, "I'm up..." 

    My entire body hurt. Yet, there were no signs of the figures that I saw last night.

    "You just need to get through the day, Caitlyn. You can do it." I told myself.

    Nova greeted me in the parking lot, and we walked to class. 

    "Hey, Nova?" I asked as we got to homeroom.

    "Yea?"

    "Can I tell you about a dream I had?"

    She laughed. "I love dreams!"

    I told her about the shack, the little girl, and the creepy man.

    "Whoa." Her eyes were wide, "Didn't you say something about a creepy shack in a field by your uncle's house?"

    I nodded.

    "Maybe that's the shack in question. Do you know anything about a little girl?"

    I didn't know whether or not to tell her about Lilith. Luckily, the bell rang before I could say anything.

    After school, Nova asked if she could come over again, but I shook my head. I was terrified of what Uncle would do if she came over again without his permission.

    "Oh well, I'll see you tomorrow, Caity." She waved.

    "Caity? Huh...Only Jonah calls me that..." I whispered as she walked away.

    I picked up Jonah, and I decided that I was going to get some ice cream with him. I wasn't ready to go home yet. Besides, I wanted to talk to Jonah about everything.

    "How are you holding up, Bud?"

    "Fine. I like it here!" He smiled as he ate.

    "You haven't noticed anything strange?"

    "Nope. Unless playing with my toys is strange!" He laughed at his joke.

    "Huh...Well, if you ever notice anything, you can always talk to me about it." I smiled.