one

c h a p t e r  ❀ o n e 

     It was almost midnight and the two teenagers laid down on the bed, being engulfed by the cream white sheets keeping both of them warm as they talked and enjoyed each other's company. A lot of people had mistaken these teenagers as lovers but they just thought of it as silly. A boy and a girl can be best friends without something fishy going on between them, one out of the other explained and it was true. 

They were having a sleepover and despite some of the rumors that had been spreading about these little "sleepovers" they have, they still choose to do it and not let anyone bother them because as long as they knew the truth they were okay with it.

"I'm bored." Nerissa mumbled, her eyes desperately searching the room for any kind of entertainment but found nothing. This is her room and she was not surprised by the lack of 'fun' in it. She would read a book but knowing both of them, they weren't in the mood to read (which is surprising)

"Aren't you always bored? That's probably the most overused phrase you've used in your entire life." Alex dragged on as he threw a small ball up in the air before catching it and  just doing that to pass time. 

"Your sentence seems to be redundant. It's only "overused" without the "most"  you moron." She scolds him as the boy rolls his eyes and thankfully she didn't catch him or else God knows what would've happened and he would probably condemn her for eternity.

"I was meant to say that. To exaggerate things a bit." After his witty remark, the room was clouded with silence. Alex smirked thinking he had won the argument and just as he opened his mouth to speak, Nerissa raced him to it.

N e r i s s a

"I want to be able to live my life like I was in a novel, a book." I told him, "My life has always been... boring, ordinary, Let's just say, exciting things? They only happen or appear at rare times." I managed a sigh. My eyes shifted over him only to catch him staring at me as well with an expression you cannot read.

That is before his lips curled in a smug smile and his eyebrows rose. This was his "i've got an idea" look and sometimes I had learn not to trust his ideas because it always ended with a bang, the bad one, and sometimes literally.

"I know that look..." And with that, he stood up and held out his hand for me to take. My mind was blank as I stared at his hand and then him, clueless on what crazy shenanigan he has in his mind this time.

"Well then, let's start on your novel right now." He shoots me a grin but I just managed to stifle a laugh at him. He was so ignorant sometimes.

"I'm afraid you and I would be seventeen years too late." I told him. Besides, it was summer and I had just turned seventeen, we would be going back as seniors and that would be the last chapter of our highschool life. After that, we can't fool around anymore, it's college and then- ugh, just thinking about it made me shiver, then we had to face the real world. adulthood.

"Come on, don't be a kill joy. It's never too late for a good story." He winks.

"Fine, how are we going to do that then?" I asked with a satisfied smile, he probably didn't even know what he was doing. 

"Well, how do you want your story to start? The cliche late night starbucks scene where we bump into each other and one spills coffee on their shirt or the cliche late night park scene where you sit there, waiting for your ride and me trying to not seem like one of those creepy kidnappers, sit beside you and accompany you for the mean time?" He asks. 

I was so amused by him, I was determine to see where this would lead to. "Hm, I don't want any coffee to be spilled on me right now, so I'll be starting off my novel with the second option of course." I played along.

"Well then get dressed, we're going to the park and reenact the scene." Alex says simply as he grabbed his pants to change, seeing as he wouldn't want to walk out wearing his pajamas but instead of doing what he said, I just stood there dumbfounded.

"Are you out of your mind?! It's almost midnight and you're suggesting we go outside and look like... fools?" I tell him, earning a laugh as he shook his head. 

"We won't look like fools if everybody else is asleep." He made his point and hopefully, I wasn't going to regret whatever this crazy plan of his he had mind. So I grabbed some comfortable clothes that I would change into and went in the bathroom so he could change.

It was freezing cold and I had no idea why I ever agreed to this. He ordered me to sit on the bench and when he comes act like he doesn't know me. Which was funny actually but I decided to take a shot.

I waited for him to come strolling as I sat still on the bench. Fumbling with my hands, I heard faint sounds of footsteps being set on the pavement before I see a pair of keds beside me, I looked up at the guy- who was Alex but he told me seeing as I had no boyfriend, I had no original lead male so being the cocky person he is, he "volunteered" to be one, for the sake of my novel.

It was hard not to laugh because he was actually pretending like he didn't know me and his actions were making him look like a complete idiot. He catched me looking before he gave me a genuine smile. 

"Oh hey, what are you doing here? Late at night?" He glanced at his imaginary watch. I had to resist a laugh before I bit on my lip and looked away from him.

"I, uhm, just waiting for my ride. You?" I politely ask even though he knew I wasn't this polite and he owed me because I actually agreed to this stupid plan which might have been better than laying on the bed and letting my lack of entertainment slowly engulf me into a never ending well of the phrase, "i'm bored." 

"Well, I was just walking out here, to clear my mind, things haven't been nice back at home."  He told me and all I could do is nod. I didn't have to ask what his name was because I obviously knew it. Infact, this whole thing is ridiculous because we both know a lot of things about each other so what was the point.

After minutes of awkward silence, it felt like as if we really didn't know each other and we were just two strangers, sitting beside each other at midnight. Didn't sound much cliche to me, it would be if it were afternoon right now and I was reading a book. 

He cleared his throat, "I'm Alex by the way." He held out his hand for me to shake before I just gave up on contemplating on things and decided to give it a shot. What would I lose?

Shaking his hand, I gave him a small smile, "I'm Nerissa but you can call me Ris." just like you always do. It took a few minutes of silence (once again) and staring at each other before Alex broke and gave me a toothy grin.

"and that was the start of your novel. Had to give the chapter ending some effect by looking at you like I just found my soulmate, that's how it usally goes, right?." He smirked and I had to give props to him. He genuinely looked at me like he just had his soulmate. For a second there, I thought I was picking up on something and thankfully, I didn't. 

He yawned, "I would have continued on the getting to know part while we wait for your ride and all the number exchanging but I'm knackered and I would have appreciated it if we go home now and continue writing your novel tomorrow." 

hey,

so basically if it's on bold, it means that's the "cliche" part of the story they're trying to imitate or reenact. as if, nerissa told alex she wanted her life to be a novel and alex had a plan to make it a novel, literally so just PRETEND as if they're acting your favorite part of a movie or a book. (mostly, i'll be getting parts from certain books but with acknowledgment of course c;)

this is an example of my bad writing, i apologize. =)) i dont think i'll be posting chapter two soon, maybe in awhile. im still writing the draft