- Chapter One -

My eyes slowly are pried open by the liquid gold of the sunlight seeping through the window to my left. Curtains of a partially transparent and washed out cream colour fall down the window aimlessly, as they cannot block the sun, yet alone hide what is in this empty room.

I lay on what I call a bed, but in reality, what I rest my body is nothing more than a pile of blankets, sheets and clothing that come in all kinds of thickness, resulting in a bumpy mattress that has adjusted to my sleeping position. My body facing the left where the window is, my left hand under my head, and my right arm resting over my head to partially cover my face and ears.

I lay here with my thoughts in my head, as I soon attempt to guess the time. I look down to a watch beside my bed that is completely black in colour and looks to be a kid's sports watch. I still look to tell the time despite knowing that it is never right, always hoping that one day I can see the real time again.

I continue to rest for another few minutes or so, underneath my woolen blanket that keeps me so warm during the mornings. My mind battles my body as one tells me I need to get up, the other screaming that it is too cold.

I soon push my blanket of violently known that a slow exit to this warm heaven will be too painful. I am shocked with the cold before I sit up and stretch. Stand on old wooden flooring that cries every time I make a movement. I walk over to the window and look out, where the view from my room clearly shows how much everything has changed.

The world is ruined.

About 100 days ago the world I love and knew ended, in a tidal wave of violence, panic, disease, and murder. I am only 17 years old, and one of the few survivors of the infectious Morbus Disease that has already plagued majority of the human population. This disease came from an unknown cause and came from nowhere. It turned people, ordinary people, both pure and impure into complete inhuman monsters with no soul, and no emotions for anyone, or anything. This disease had sent carnage, no one was prepared, how can we prepare for something like this? The horror movies don't cover everything.

At day 100, I live in a society full of only females, most of us came from the school of excelled excellence, St Claudia, an all-girls boarding school. With me, there is only one teacher, Miss Genish, and around 30 other girls ranging from as young as 2 years old up till 19 years old.

I know oh too well that this disease, according to probability and patterns, that numbers will reach complete domination, 100% at day 200, if we survive till then, I then will know it is possible for me, for us to survive and to hopefully take back the world that was once ours.

The countdown has begun.

Today was just another day, and had to begin somewhere. Searching the surround town of resources was the way to go.

"Bonnie? Found anything?" I ask while trying to keep my voice down, but to also get my words across. I point my gun, a Glock G19, towards the exit of this small, corner street shop that use to be once blooming with customers.

I glance around and clearly see what once was. A clean and large front viewing window that displayed the labelled isles and the current shopping deals. A polished white floor that compliments the colourful range of good that laid on the shelves. A busy front counter where a young-adult cashier smiles as she serve customers, while a teenage stands around pretending to work. Teenagers trying to buy cancer sticks and alcohol, while the old man manager chases them out with threats. That is what this place use to be. But now... Glass is shattered and spread over the floors snow on a cold winters day. Isles are now indistinguishable from the rubbish tips across the city. Empty bottles, and old bags, and rubbish is all that remains here. Floors are covered in dust, blood and unrecognizable substances. Not a single customer, smiling face or sale going on here.