Prologue

It was quite a chilly night. Winter was approaching fast, after all. And the area was a bit on the rural side. That's why the chilling bite of the upcoming winter was a bit more prominent. And, so was the fog. It wasn't very dense, but it would become so in a matter of weeks. And that's when people would bring out the heavy quilts. For now, they were just content to snuggle under blankets.

Two such people were Jahid and Amina Khan. The couple was cuddled up against each other, enjoying the warmth their tangled bodies provided. Amina had her face in the crook her husband's neck. Theirs was an arranged marriage. But they had come to love each other over time. And they had brought beautiful babies to this world. Two sons - Misbah and Fayezi Khan. Her two boys, who were a year apart from each other but acted like twins, were the apple of her eyes. She loved them with all her heart. But her family seemed ....... incomplete.

For a long time, she had wondered why. And when she went to the hospital to see her sister who went through a difficult delivery to birth a daughter, she knew why. She wanted a daughter. A little angelic daughter, with a tinkling laughter that could light up the whole house, to call her own. And she had told her husband about it. He had smiled and pulled her into a loving but firm embrace. Kissing the top of her head, he had whispered, "We will try, love."

And they had been trying since. So far, their efforts had borne no fruit. But they were hopeful that, soon, Amina would be heavy with a daughter. They prayed with all their hearts that such would be the case.

As a particularly harsh breeze ran through the room, the bamboo roof not quite enough to keep the winter wind out, Amina shivered and snuggled closer to her husband, who instinctively tightened her arms around his significant other.

He cracked open his eyes and looked down at the love of his life, seeing her peacefully asleep by his side. For a moment, he wondered what he had done to deserve such an inherently good person as his wife. Not a day had gone by when this woman hadn't showered his home with happiness and love. Though his mother would disagree.

He reached forward and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear, smiling softly. That small action was enough for the woman to stir, being a light sleeper. She blinked her eyes open and looked up at her better half, seeing the man watching her intently.

"What?" She asked sleepily.

"I love you."

Whatever she had been expecting, this was clearly not it. A blush crept its way onto her cheeks as she smiled shyly. Any trace of sleep fled from her eyes as she leaned even closer to the man, putting her head on his shoulder. She felt lips brush against her forehead before they travelled down to her neck. A shiver ran dowm her spine that had nothing to do with cold, and her eyes held desire for the man as she pulled back before claiming his lips.

Unknown to and unseen by the couple stirring in passion, the fog outside thickened considerably, an unnatural phenomenon at this time of the year in Bangladesh. The fog wouldn't be this thick until at least a month.

Untraceable by human eyes, a thin sliver of that fog made its way inside the house through the crack under the door. It travelled to the couple's room in the same way, creeping up the bed until it reached the man before quickly entering his slightly open mouth.

The man went rigid for a moment, his brown eyes flashing a steel blue, his hold on his wife loosening. The woman looked up at the man in worry, a frown marring her face. She cupped his cheek and made him lookn down to her.

"What's wrong, love?"

The man's unfocused gaze turned to her. And it was as if those eyes were piercing into her very soul. It made her uncomfortable. Just when she was about avert her gaze and lean away, the man's eyes cleared an she smiled down warmly at her.

"It's nothing, dear," he said softly, kissing her forehead. "Shall we continue?"

Amina frowned for a moment before shaking the whole thing off and smiling up at him. She gave a small nod, the blush once again adorning her face. The man chuckled and pulled her into his embrace again. Soon, their hands were frantically getting rid of each other's clothes. With those obstacles out of the way, they lost themselves in the throes of passion.

Half an hour later found them lying together, tangled, panting and sweaty yet satisfied. Amina snuggled up to her husband, closing her eyes with a content sigh. Her body was sore yet her mind and heart were at peace, filled with love and happiness.

That night, their prayers were answered. The man's seed made its way to the woman's womb, forming with her egg the small cell that would grow into their beautiful daughter.

But their daughter would be no ordinary human. After all, she had been borne of extraordinary means. The seed glowed a reddish blue as it met the egg in the womb. It gave a strong pulse for a moment, it's glow almost blinding inside the woman's belly, before it slowly faded into darkness, leaving no evidence of what happened.

As the couple fell asleep in each other's embrace, the fog was seen making its way out through the man's mouth. When it was completely out, it started to condense and, soon, it formed the silhouette of a man before solidifying into the shape.

The man had tanned skin, with flowning raven black hair that came down to his shoulder blades, his eyes the same steel blue that had reflected in the man's eyes just half an hour ago. He looked down at the sleeping couple and sighed.

"I hate possessing people," he muttered as he looked down at the woman's stomach. "But, this time, it was necessary. I just hope, one day, you will understand."

He put a hand on the woman's stomach and muttered an incantation in Arabic under his breathe.

'I seek refuge for you with Allah's perfect words from every Shaytaan (devil) and poisonous creature and every evil eye'

His hand glowed the same reddish blue, almost like fire. The glow continued to expand and soon enveloped the entirety of the woman's womb like a cocoon of protection. And that was exactly what it was.

The glow faded once again into the darkness. The mysterious man pulled back, his work having been done. Soon, the edges of his body started to dissolve into the fog that had previously formed it. As he started to fade away from the physical plane, he smiled down at the woman's womb, where he could feel the life force of the child starting to grow.

"I'll see you soon.... my child."

And with that, he dispersed into the fog before going back the same way he entered, leaving a sleeping peacefully couple, who had no idea that they had conceived a child destined for two worlds that co-existed since the beginning of time.

----------

A/N: My first story that isn't a fan fiction. I am so nervous. I hope this is received well. I wanted to hold off publishing this until after my exams. But it was just running around in my mind. So I published the prologue. It might be a while before I can publish the next chapter. Meanwhile, enjoy and comment. Feedback and constructive criticism appreciated. Please tell me if there is any mistake.