Chapter One: Jet Pack Blues

Regina walked down the streets of Tallaght, rain pouring down on her black raincoat. Her arms were crossed around her chest and she just looked down at her feet, avoiding eye contact, feeling ashamed.

She mumbled profanities in a melody of tears as she saw her small, three room house in the distance. She sped up a bit, desperate to get out of the freezing cold rain.

She fumbled with her keys before violently passing them into the keyhole. She quickly ran into her house, double-checking the door was locked.

She lived in a rough part of town and was aware of this. But, she liked her house. It was bit of a wreck, but she didn't mind. The living room was connected to the dining room and kitchen, then upstairs there was a bathroom and bedroom. It was fine though, she lived alone.

She threw her coat on the old, ripped up, tan couch in the living room before sliding her black heels off and leaving them beside the doorway. She made her way to the couch and turned on the television to keep her company as she texted the only friends she had left on snapchat, deciding she wasn't going to sleep tonight.

She had gotten a reputation when she was only fourteen. The reputation of a bitch, troublemaker, cheap, sell out. She didn't mind it, her motto was 'I don't care what people think of me, I probably think of them ten times worse,'.

Tara🖤 (tara.martinez) added you as a friend!

Regina looked down at her phone, confused. She knew who Tara was, but why was she trying to talk to Regina? Tara lived in Dalkey, which was in South Dublin. Regina didn't necessarily hate everyone who lived in South Dublin, just those who were in the same year/grade in school as her.

She rolled her eyes and added her back, seeing as she wasn't in the mood for another feud. She went into Tara's story only to find she was in Tallaght, great.

Just then, there was a knock at the door. Regina groaned before dragging herself to the door, unlocking it and opening it, not caring if it was a murderer.

"Hi!" said a familiar ginger.

"Tara? Shouldn't you be at Wessley?" Regina rolled her eyes, putting on her best 'South Dublin valley girl' voice.

"Ha, ha. Very funny. Can I come in?" Tara retorted, sarcastically.

Regina then put her hand across the doorway, blocking Tara from walking through, requiring her to crouch down.

"Very mature, Marquez." Tara crossed her arms, giving her an 'are you serious?' look.

"What do you want? Why are you here?" Regina asked, still not moving her arm.

"Janey, can I not just come in?" Tara asked, uncrossing her arms.

"No! How do I not know you're gonna rob me?" Regina whisper-shouted.

"Regina, sweetheart, I mean this in the nicest way possible- you have nothing to rob." Tara stated, smirking now.

"Feck off, skank!" Regina said, before slamming the door in Tara's face.

"Ahh, come on!" Tara yelled, banging on the door.

The banging continued for another ten minutes before Regina finally snapped, "If you don't shut the fuck up I'm calling the police."

"We both know you can't do that." The banging finally stopped.

"And why would that be?" Regina asked, getting off the couch and leaning against the door.

"Because," Tara began, "I know you have illegal drugs in your house."

The sound of chains moving, doors unlocking could be heard, making Tara smirk. The door swung open and Tara was pulled into the house.

"Shh!" Regina hissed whilst re-locking the door.

"Small place you got here." Tara commented, sinking into the couch.

"Sorry not all of us have millionaire parents that work for RTE." Regina rolled her eyes, sitting beside her.

"It's nice though," Tara went on, ignoring the other girl, "Homely."

"Cheers," Regina mumbled, looking down. Tara chuckled slightly.

"You're very mysterious, Marquez." Tara smiled.

"Can you call me Regina? Is that too much to ask for?" Regina snapped.

"You have to earn that title, Gina." Tara smirked.

"Why are you here?" Regina said, pissed off.

"All about the questions, Regi, aren't we?" Tara laughed.

"Can you just answer me?" Regina yelled.

"Okay, okay! Calm yourself. I just got bored of the same old shit in the south and wondered, 'Why do people hate Regina Marquez?', so I came to find out. So far, I don't know why. You seem like a nice person." Tara explained.

"Earned it." Regina smirked.

"What?" Tara asked.

"All about the questions, Martinez, aren't we?" Regina said, turning the tables.

"Know I know why." Tara joked.