Nine || Investigations: Suspect #2

The next day, I wake up at the beautiful hour of 1 in the afternoon. I got up and put on some jeans and a large sweater.

Just as I was brushing my hair, I hear a knock on my window.

I turn away from my mirror and walk over to it, moving the curtains aside and pulled up the blinds to reveal James.

I opened it up and he crawled in and sat on my window seat.

"Hey." He said.

"Good morning." I say.

"Scar." He says. "It's one in the afternoon."

"Yeah, well I just woke up." I rolled my eyes.

"Wow." He said. He looked around the room for a moment. "You have a nice room. It's really big."

"Thank you," I say, "I love it."

"Just not the house it's in?" He asked.

I stopped for a moment, but shook my head. "If only I had different parents."

"You and me both, Red." James was still looking around the room, soaking up details.

"So, no offense, Flannel." I say. He turns his attention back to me. "Why did you come here?"

I was still brushing my hair, but was looking at him through my mirror.

"Well, I thought we could talk to Jake." He said. "The guy who supposedly got into a fight with my brother."

"Okay." I shrug. "Do you know where or how to find him?"

James nodded. "I know that he works at the store we go to for milkshakes. But only does night shifts."

"How old is he?" I ask.

"He's like 19 and graduated before this summer." He informed.

"So I assume we'll have to sneak out at night to go talk to this guy?" I say, applying my eyeliner and mascara.

"Yes, we will." James confirmed.

"What time?"

"Ten?" He said, voice unsure.

I think it over. "Yeah, I can do ten."

"Great, I'll come back to your window tonight, then." He said.

"Yeah, I'll see you then, I guess. Is that all?"

"No, I was also wanting to know if you got the art assignment for the day that I missed?" James asked.

"I do, actually. It's in my sketchbook." I say.

"Can I see it?"

"Sure." I get up and walk over to my school bag. I reach in and fish out the art class sketch book and flip through until I find it.

"Ah, here it is." James gets up from the window seat and walks over. He takes out his phone and snaps a picture.

"Thank you," He said.

"No problem," I say.

"Well, that is all I came for," He announced, heading back to the window. "I shall see you later tonight."

"As will I," I laugh.

"Until then, I bid you," he took a bow, "adieu."

We burst out laughing.

"Later,"  He says.

"Bye," I say.

Then he crawls out of my window and I shut it. He salutes me with two fingers then runs across the roof to the tree.