Philosophy of the White Demon Lord

The son of the distinguished Shimotsuki family, Shun Shimotsuki, sighed as he stared out of his room's window for the umpteenth time that day. The child, not older than five, had been — or what he claims to have been, — locked inside his house with nothing to do. It was for the best, as there was a massive snow storm happening outside the mansion. The room was cold, despite the heater already turned on to at least warm it up to someone's comfort.

Sighing once again, he got up from the window and walked towards his mini library, going through the new books his parents had given him in advance for his birthday.

He took out a random book, and it instantly piqued his interest.

"How To Summon A Demon."

..Well, you could say that his parents were sometimes careless when it came to birthday presents.

Sitting down on his armchair, he opened the book and began to read the first line.

Summoning a demon is not as difficult as some people may think. It's just like.....

His gaze travelled down, to what a demon would do once you summoned it.

Said demon will appear in the circle and ask you, "What is your wish?" You may ask for anything — money, power, — but of course, there are prices you have to pay.

By then, Shun was already getting up and getting his utensils to make the circle; he could ask for anything. Sure, he had everything, but he didn't have one thing...

∆×∆×∆×

After he successfully completed in making the circle, he followed the procedure on how to summon a demon.

"..And finally, a drop of blood."

When the red liquid touched the parchment, a bright light emitted from it which made Shun close his eyes. When he opened them, he found an unfamiliar person kneeling before him.

"I've come to hear your request. Tell me anything you want, and I'll grant it in two seconds." The being said, his bloody red irises looking up to Shun's lime green ones. Without hesitating even for a second, Shun said his wish;

"Please be my friend."

∆×∆×∆×

To say that the demon was surprised was an understatement; this was the first time he had encountered such a request from such a young boy.

"..May I ask, how old are you?"

"I'm turning five on the 24th."

"You do know what you're doing now, don't you?"

"Of course I do."

"You do understand what your wish is, right?"

"I want a friend. Please be my friend."

The two had a staring competition for a second; Shun having such determination in his eyes whilst the demon had just pure wonder. Suddenly, the demon began chuckling, fueling Shun's agitation.

"What's so funny?" He pouted, not liking at how the demon was taking his request so lightly.

"N-Nothing, it's just that I've never had such an adorable request coming from such as adorable child." The demon explained, a soft smile on his lips.

"Well, if that's your wish, then I shall grant it. Let's be friends now, okay, Shun Shimotsuki?"

∆×∆×∆×

Over the time, Shun had learned that the demon's name was Diablo; a name he founded quite unique. Diablo himself had begun to like the Shimotsuki boy, coming almost everyday to meet and have tea with him.

"Shun, if you don't mind me asking, why did you ask me to be your friend? Wouldn't it be better for you to have human friends instead?" Diablo had asked one day out of pure curiosity. It had been two weeks since the two became friends, and he thought that it was time for him to get the answers to the questions which had been bugging him for some time.

Shun's smile faltered and his gaze fell to the floor; only then did Diablo realise that it was a taboo topic. "Well, I'm the son of the distinguished Shimotsuki family. Due to this, I can't have the freedom I want. The kids at kindergarten wouldn't want to go near me because they're scared. Other than that, my parents are always out of the country and although I have Sasaki-san and the others, it still doesn't change the fact that it's lonely here."

Diablo raised his hand and placed it on Shun's head, running his claws through the pure white strands. Suddenly, light blue emitted from his palm and disappeared as it landed on Shun's head. The boy looked up at the demon, a questioning look on his face.

"I'm giving you my powers; with this, you'll be able to make friends. That's your wish, isn't it? To have friends?" Shun was about to respond when Diablo shook his head and stood up. "It was nice being friends with you, Shun. But my time here has come to an end."

"Why are you making it sound like you're not coming back?" Shun stood up as well, his small hand trying to each out to the demon; but Diablo had flew out of the window, the moon shining above him.

"It's because I won't. My job here is done. But don't worry, Shun, for we will meet again."

Once again, strong wind had came and Shun took a step back, his arms covering his face as he did so. The clock struck twelve, and at that time, he heard Diablo's voice in whispering in his ear;

"Happy birthday, Shun."

∆×∆×∆×

It's been ten years since. Shun's now fifteen years old, about to enter his highschool as a freshman. His thoughts lingered to what happened ten years prior, and he sighed softly.

The reason why Diablo didn't come back after that was something Shun already knew without even being told why; he must've been punished by the higher ups because he got too close to a demon child. Shun knew, because when he fell asleep after that, he dreamt that he witnessed Diablo's wings getting torn off of his back.

It was the worst nightmare he had.

He had grown used to the abnormalities of his powers by now, and often used them when he was bored. He actually did managed to get friends, but he had built this kind of wall that no one has ever gotten over before.

No one other than Diablo.

While talking a short detour on the way back from school, he heard rustling coming from the bushes. Curiosity overcame him and he went towards it; only to find a moving box stuck there. He carefully lifted the box and met an injured animal he had never seen before.

Shun immediately brought it back to his house and took care of it, tending all of its injuries. When the animal recovered, only then did Shun realise what — or rather who, — it was.

"..Diablo?"