Chapter 3: A New Case

It was near about nine in the morning when Sherlock was laying on his bed with his eyes fixed on the ceiling. Words of different sorts were rambling inside his head on this point, the aftermath of an expected but again, the least expected case he had got himself into early this morning.

Mary knocked hastily on the door, throwing uncomfortable glances around her as she waited for the landlady to open it. It took a few minutes for Mrs. Hudson to receive the woman with a hint of confusion and surprise. She had received many clients asking for Sherlock Holmes regardless of the timing but Mary? Why would she arrive in such an odd hour- five in the morn with a pale face? Quickly closing the door, Mary leaned her back on the wall, panting.

"Is everything alright, dear? What are you doing here so early-" The old lady asked in confusion.

"Where's Sherlock?" She interrupted, trying to catch her breath.

"He's probably asleep now. But what's the matter? Is John alright?"

Mary suddenly realized that she had been far too unconscious about her attitude. Before replying anything else, she allowed herself to breathe and calm down. "Oh yes, he's fine. Don't worry, Mrs. Hudson, it's just a case. Quite an urgent one actually, sorry for waking you up."

With an assuring smile, the blond woman walked upstairs, not allowing the old lady to speak or ask anything further.

Sherlock groggily sat up on his bed as he heard two female voices flying in from the sitting room. It took him seconds to recognize the speakers while sliding on his robe and walking out of bedroom only to see Mary sitting on John's armchair with Mrs. Hudson near the door. Seeing Mary sitting alone with a thoughtful expression on her face made Sherlock think of nothing at first but his best friend. "Where's John?" He eventually asked.

"John's alright. He's asleep." Saying so, Mary looked at the old lady with the corner of her eye.

"Mrs. Hudson, why don't you go get some sleep?" Sherlock spoke in a normal tone.

"Alright, alright." The woman nodded to herself as she turned towards the open door. "Call me if necessary..."

Mary remained quiet as Sherlock took his seat on the couch across her and started to examine her face. Fear, anxiety, uncomfortable, insecurity, friend, issues, fidgeting, and palpitation- these were the words and phrases that lingered around the woman like words in a hologram. He wondered if this had anything to do with John. After all, she had been with him for more than two years now, and a few months since they've been living together. It undoubtedly is unusual- she here early in the morning. It would be, yes, if it's... It's... A case!

"It's been a few weeks already since the first time. I thought that I'll be able to handle things by myself but..."

Sherlock furrowed his eyebrows, waiting for the woman to continue.

"The next morning after the dinner party, I saw a man loitering outside from the kitchen window. I took no notice until I realized that the man was actually following me, changing his position every time when I move away, staring at me from the windows of each room. At last, I closed the curtains and sat to have tea with John. After sometime, the bell rang and it was the same man from the streets, asking about a Mrs. Hughes. There was a woman of her name who had recently moved out of the building to Brighton. I was about to approach him on the doorstep but he quickly hurried off downstairs and John closed the door." Mary stopped, exhaled and then continued once again. "Two days later, I received a poison pen letter which was left near our doorstep on the evening."