~ Part 20 ~

The odd pairing of the skeleton and the human waltzed around the room. Sans kept a firm grip on her hand and waist, wanting to imprint this moment to memory forever. It was like an honorable send off to a hopeless love. Painful and bittersweet.

Frisk admired the way Sans led her around the ballroom, taking complete control of the synchronized movements. The nervousness she had felt when she had danced with Asriel was completely replaced by an enticing feeling when she danced with Sans. The coldness of his skeletal hand made her never want to let go.

But all great things must come to an end.

Sans gently guided her off the ballroom floor, away from the other pairings who continued to sway in the peaceful yet melancholic rhythm of the music.

However, Frisk had noticed, Sans made no move to untangle their interlock fingers. So she didn't either.

Sans led the dazzling girl over to the buffet table, that was finally when their hands departed in a natural yet heartbreaking kind of way.

"bet you're hungry, huh. Toriel really outdid herself." Sans commented, taking a slice of butterscotch cream pie.

Frisk grabbed a plate herself and followed closely behind Sans.

"Yeah. It's all she could talk about for months. I'm glad that everything turned out well for her." Frisk smiled, taking from the same pie Sans did.

"what about you?"

Frisk froze at the slightly intrusive question. It was so sudden she didn't really even think about how things had been for her personally. She knew it wasn't the best though.

"It's- things have been- I think- I... I'm okay."

Her reply came out stuttered and unsure. The only words to express how she was really feeling couldn't be said. Not in front of him.

Sans looked back at her, raising a nonexistent eyebrow.

"i may be a skeleton but i've got enough brains to tell that that was the worst lie i've ever heard."

Frisk sighed in defeat. She wasn't a convincing liar. Never had been.

They  finished loading their plates and carried them back to an empty table in the back. Once they sat, Sans looked at Frisk accusingly, awaiting an honest answer to his question.

Frisk shuttered under the hard glare she'd been receiving from Sans.

"I... Haven't been great. All this drama with the coronation really got to me. And Asriel's been acting really strange around me lately. I just want to know what's wrong with him, ya know?"

Albeit half true, Sans didn't need to know the other part of her troubles.

At the sound of her problems, Sans was brought right back to square one. Asriel. The reason why couldn't speak his feelings. The reason why he couldn't fall in love with her. The reason why he didn't have a chance.

Sans made a bold move, reaching towards her hand and intertwining their fingers once again. The action in and of itself just felt so right.

Frisk's cheeks burned a delicate crimson as she looked at their hands.

"don't worry about him. enjoy tonight, Frisk. cut loose, have fun."

Frisks eyes widened at his words as his grip on her hand tightened. Her heart pulsed rapidly with only one emotion that could be identified as love for the skeleton before her. Only for it to be quickly doused with the cold flame of heartbreak.

Tears threatened at the edge of her vision, but she fought against the hopeless thoughts, refusing the let them spill.

"I don't have any other choice then, do I?" She giggled light-heartedly, a single tear spilling over and slowly rolling down her cheek.

Sans smiled as he squeezed her hand even harder still; but not enough to hurt her.

"Frisk, i-"

Just as soon as the skeleton began, he was cut off by a familiar tone that caused his spine to tingle unpleasantly.

"I was looking for you, Frisk. Come on, I've got something to tell you." Asriel said sweetly (for the first time that night), placing his hands on her shoulders. However, he couldn't help but growl at the interlaced hands displayed before him, but didn't say anything.

Frisk reluctantly rose from her seat, eyes locked with Sans the whole time.