Masquerade

Masquerade! Paper faces on parade.

Everyone thought she was genius, a masquerade prom! How delightful. Now everyone could try out what she did every day. Laughing to herself, she recalled everyones initial reactions.

Two Months Ago

“You know Mary since you gonna be Prom Queen, any suggestions for the theme?” Paul asked.

She smirked to herself. “How about a masquerade?” She said, painting a fake smile on her face. Everyone around looked to each other with a grin on their faces.

“What a great idea! Once again Mary you astound us all.” They were all so disgustingly fake. Everyone just went along with anything they said. No one cared about her, they just cared about her popularity status. If only they knew what it was like having a mask on everyday.

Prom Night

Masquerade! Hide your face so the world will never find you

The girl carefully applied makeup to her face. She was careful to hide the bruises that marred the otherwise perfection of her face. “It will all end tonight.” She hummed to herself as she applied makeup to all the parts of her she never wanted anyone to see. Angry red streaks where tears had tumbled from her eyes. Bruises on her cheekbones. A split lip. These were all things that not one of her so called friends would care to know about. When she put the makeup on she was like a whole new person, a person who she loathed almost as much as the scum who practically worshipped  this version of her. “Hide your face so the world will never find you…” She hummed silently to herself. Isnt that what a masquerade was? A chance to be someone who they were not. Smirking to herself, she placed her physical mask in place and went to join the festivities.

Masquerade! Every face a different shade

Opulent prom dresses off all colors swarmed around the room. Smiles were painted on everyones faces as they twirled around on the dance floor. She could see them from where she waited. “The best night of our lives indeed.” She said with a pitiful smirk on her face. Her dark blue eyes held sorrow clouded by an all consuming hatred. Hatred for the people who had done this to her, broken her. The people who should have been the ones putting her back together. The people who had created her. But that was not the only people she hated. No, they were simply the ones she took care of first. Then there were the people that never cared to look behind her mask, who never even bothered to see if anything was wrong. Those were the real monsters. At least her parents had never pretended to care about her. No, what they did hurt most of all, so now it was time to return the favor. She heard a high pitched ring of a glass that had been tapped with a knife. It was time.

“We now welcome our Prom Queen! Come on out Mary and give a little speech!”

Her hand stealthily unscrewed a cap as she walked by. Eyes heavily coated in eyeshadow and mascara followed her every moment. Hands that were previously used to gift their dates with corsages itched at the chance to help her on the stage. She was getting light headed and it wasn’t from all of the attention. An elegant white mask covered in lace and pearls hid half of her face. But not for long. She took center stage and grasped the microphone in her delicate hand. “Masquerade! Paper faces on parade, masquerade.” She sang eerily. People were yawning and looking around in confusion. She reached a hand up to rip off her mask. There were some shocked gasps at the horror that lie beneath it. Bruises, cuts, and scars that burned every time a tear ran over it. “Masquerade! Every face a different shade.” People were starting to pass out, one by one. Jenny, 10th grade in her Pre-Calc. Johnny, 11th grade Homecoming King. Paul, her boyfriend. They dropped like dead flies. Even she was beginning to have a hard time staying awake. “Masquerade! Hide your face so the world will never find you.” They were all down now. It was over, she could succumb to death in peace now. “Masquerade…”

AN- Just a little short story, please let me know what you think! Critiques welcome, flames are not.