Georgie, The Backstory

When Georgie hatched, he was a simple bird. Born in New Zealand, he grew up toddling around with his siblings. Playing games like 'Kiwi Tag' (where you tag with your beak because your arms are too small) and Georgie was really good at Kiwi Tag, he never ever got caught. He was the fastest out of all the kiwis, he won every race and was always the first to get to dinner.

Georgie also loved to read. He was a odd kiwi bird, but he decided to teach himself English one day. With littering, Georgie found books tossed out by humans. With practice from such a young age, he discovered a love of reading. He always wanted to go visit a human library, yet because of his kiwi birdness, he was always ushered out. The humans just didn't understand, Georgie felt discriminated against. Just because he was a kiwi bird, that didn't mean he couldn't be just like everyone else. His favourite thing was to have his beak between the pages of a good novel. 

This horrible unfairness inspired Georgie. The world was too cruel, so cruel that even a simple kiwi bird wasn't allowed to read. Georgie had to do something. 

Every night Georgie trained his body, mostly his wings. He started lifting sticks, then rocks, then other birds. He ran around the lakes nearby, becoming faster and faster. There was no bird that could compete with him, his speed or strength. 

And not only did Georgie physically train, he trained mentally too. In his free time he studied books on law and other icons. People like Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. He studied books about justice and peace. Then, one day, Georgie came across a topic he never thought to study before. Superheroes. Sure, he'd come across superhero comics in the past, but they never quite caught his interest. Too flashy, too unrealistic for the suave bird. But Georgie considered, wasn't he like a superhero? Fighting for justice with his super-bird strength, wasn't he just like them? He brought this question to a friend, a Kea named Keonna. She agreed, but he was still left questioning what he was missing, something just wasn't quite right..

The next day, Keonna came to visit again, but this time she brought some gifts. A top hat, stolen from a small humans toy. A monocle, put together from a old telescope and chain, and a cape. It was dirty and a little tattered, but this cape, this was what he had been missing. This was it. What he needed to become..

Georgie, Kiwi Bird for Justice.