The Jump

I'm Falling. Falling quicker and quicker to the rushing river below. The smell of roses fills my lungs as I start to panic. I heard a loud snap, a woman scream, and then I hit the water. I wake up with a jolt, breathing heavily, and in a cold sweat. I sit up, still shaking, holding back tears trying not to cry. I look at the clock it's 8:46am, then someone started knocking on the door to my hotel room I got up to answer it. I opened it and it was my best friend Carla in some kind of sports gear. "Did you really just get up" she said "if we don't leave now we will be late for the jump". "I'm sorry" I said "let me go get ready i'll be out in ten" with a look of disapproval she nodded and shooed me away. Oh god I forgot about the jump. I've never liked heights, if I'm higher than 4 feet off the ground I start to panic. When I told Carla and my other best friend Steven about my fear of heights they suggested we go bungee jumping to conquer my fears. I was horrified by the idea but they looked so excited and into the idea I couldn't say no. I went to the bathroom and washed up, then I got dressed and went to the parking lot to meet Steven and Carla. After Carla scolded me for waking up late we got in the car. I sat in the passenger seat while Steven drives and Carla sits in the back. We drove for about 20 minutes before I saw the bridge. There wasn't a cloud in the sky but the bridge seemed to be covered in gloom and darkness but my fears were probably getting the best of me so I just shook it off. There was a man waving at us as we drove closer to the bridge, it was the instructor, he was wearing the same type of sporting equipment as Carla. Seems like she’s the only one who did any research, me and Steven looked under dressed. All we wore were t-shirts, cargo shorts, and sneakers. We got out of the car and greeted the instructor whose name was Matt, while Steven and Carla talked to Matt I looked at the bridge. It went right across the river and had an arch shape, I could hear a river rushing below. I couldn't tell how high the bridge was but I knew it was high enough for me to be scared to look down. Matt told us to follow him to the center of the bridge where we will be doing the jump. As we stepped on to the bridge at the corner of my eye I could have sworn I saw a shadow standing under the tree next to the car. I took a glance back at the car but no one was there so I continued to follow the others. Carla was the first to volunteer Matt hooked up the bungee cord to her feet and asked if she wanted a push or too jump. "I want to jump of course" she said excitedly, Matt started to count down from 3. He didn't even get past 3 before she swan dived off the bridge. I can't lie I almost fainted when she jumped, all you heard was screams of joy between her laughter. Matt pulled her back up after she was done bouncing, her hair was a complete mess and she was shaking with excitement. Steven was up next, unlike Carla he waited for the countdown and fell backwards off the bridge with his hands across his chest. Just like Carla there wasn’t much to be heard but laughter and screaming. I was up next, if it wasn't Carla pushing me forward I would've ran back to the car. Matt set up my harness and the bungee cord to my feet, I climbed up on the railing my knees shaking. He asked if I wanted to be pushed or if I wanted to jump. I couldn't move my body much less jump so I asked him to push me. "Okay here we go" he said, I close my eyes and breath in through my nose. "3" There is something familiar about the smell of the air. "2" I look down I see the river bed full of...my heart stops, "1" I see Roses. Before I can react I feel Matt's hands push me off the rails. I couldn't scream there was no point, I was falling. Falling quicker and quicker to the rushing river below, my lungs filled with the smell of roses. I feel the bungee cord catch me but then I could hear the snap of elastic. I heard Carla scream and then finally I hit the water. I woke up with a jolt.