Chapter 1 // Uriah

Chapter 1 // Uriah

I sat nervously at the table with Marlene and Lynn at my side. We were all awaiting the aptitude test; the test that will say where we belong.

"Uriah Pedrad..."

As soon as I heard my name, I stood up. I didn't recognize or care who the other Dauntless-born next to me was.

Slowly, I walked. I was led to a small room with a dentist-like chair. There was an old man in gray next to the chair, and he gestured me to sit. I did obediently.

I was going to be tested by an Abnegation man. I held my breath as he attached the wires to my head and gave me a clear serum to drink.

Within moments, the small plain room faded.

Then a voice behind me said, "Choose."

I whipped around. There was a small table behind on which had two baskets. I peered at both of them.

One had a single piece of cheese. The other contained an arm-length knife. I instinctively went with the knife. All my life I have been in Dauntless. That is one thing they can't take away.

The table and everything on it instantly vanished as soon as I made my choice.

And then a dog came running at me.

At first, I wanted to kill it. But something was giving me second thoughts. Suddenly, I was aware that they wanted me to stab the dog to get away. But I can do whatever I want.

No. I didn't want to kill it. But did I have a choice?

Yes, I did. I knelt down to it, trying to hide my fear. I held out my arm for it to sniff. This was a risk, I knew it was. But it was to late to go back now.

I set my knife down. That was a mistake. The knife vanished, so my only back-up was gone. Pansycakes.

But then a little girl came rushing in. "Puppy!" she shrieked.

Oh, no. Not even thinking about what I was doing, I lunged at the dog, trying to make it stop. And then everything was still.

I was back in the dentist chair. The Abnegation man was ashen white.

"You," he said, pointing a bony finger at me. He quickly lowered his hand and his voice. "You are Divergent. Be careful, Uriah Pedrad. If anyone finds out, they will try to kill you."

I stayed silent.

He walked over to the computer and deleted the footage, and typed in Dauntless. And then he pushed me out.

"Don't share this information with anybody. I am warning you."

That was the last thing a heard before I collapsed at Marlene and Lynn's table. They didn't question me and I was thankful for it.