Chapter VI: A Heaven and A Hell

"So..."

"Yeah."

"Well, how's it going, I guess?"

"Not bad, you?"

"You do realize everyone is listening to what we're saying through the door, right?"

At that, Aquarius punched the door, causing a few muffled screams to be heard from the other side. She turned back to face Cancer as if nothing had happened.

He cleared his throat. "So do you know why Gemini dared us to do this? Like he didn't give me an option and, honestly, I was going to say truth-"

"Cancer?" Aquarius asked.

"Yeah?"

"Promise you won't laugh if I tell you why?"

"Of course not."

Aries, bored out of his mind, laid himself down on the carpet. "What do you think they're talking about?"

"I dunno." Pisces was the only one who seemed to have heard him.

"Ugh this is taking forever. How long has it been?" Leo asked.

Gemini looked at the timer on his phone. "It's only been a minute and a half."

A series of groans broke out in response.

"So, um, the reason why Gemini did this, is because, well, he kind of knows that I might have a little, uh...crush on you."

"What?!! You like me?!!" Cancer asked, surprised and in mild alarm.

"Shush, someone might hear you! And, yeah I do."

All was quiet for a minute.

"So, um...what do you think?" Aquarius asked.

"What do you mean what do I think?"

"I mean, do you like me?!" Aquarius replied with some fear in her voice.

Silence.

"Cancer?"

Cancer sighed. "Aquarius, obviously I like you-"

"You do?!" Aquarius was filled with hope.

"-just...just not in the way you want me to."

Aquarius's heart broke in a million places. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, I really enjoy spending time with you. Like, we're always going off on our little adventures and I wouldn't trade that for the world, but-"

It was quiet.

"But what?" Aquarius asked, daring to speak.

"But...I just don't have feelings for you in that way. And don't get me wrong, I'm very flattered, it's just...I'm not...I'm just not over Virgo," Cancer finished, feeling a huge weight lifted off of his chest.

Aquarius was glad the room was dark. She wiped the few tears that escaped her eyes before speaking. "Well, you should probably tell her that."

"You think?" Cancer was surprised by her response.

"Yeah, I mean, I may want to be with you, but I also want you to be happy. I'm not going to let my happiness get in the way of yours. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did that." Aquarius smiled as some new tears broke free.

Goddamnit, Aquarius. You're stronger than this, she thought to herself.

Aquarius suddenly felt two large arms wrap around her. "Thanks, Aqua."