The Kiamuck Incident

Summary: The exact details of the origin of the event are still being investigated, but some information has been retrieved. The event began at 01:47 October 21st 2004 at the loading docks located 20 miles from Kiamuck, Nunavut. The loading dock was utilized by the local populace to offload supplies from passing shipping vessels. Due to the topography of the waters around the island, an unusually deep channel was present along the shore, allowing large tankers to easily maneuver around the island and providing an effective shortcut back to shipping lanes. The island was used as a refueling and resupply depot for vessels leaving the inner islands, and the town that sprung up had a population estimated at 137 people. The town was located on the southeast side of the island, due to the presence of a small protected bay and a sheltering hill line on that side of the island.

Also of importance was a small industrial compound that had been set up on the western side of the island in 2001 after purchasing land from the town government. The ostensible owner, Futuro Industries, has proven to be a dummy corporation and attempts to trace the true owner have proven unfruitful. Statements taken by individuals who interacted with workers from this facility indicate the facility was involved in chemical research, though the nature of this research was unclear. Manifests for items offloaded for the facility were vague, fraudulent, or routine items. Of particular note was the manifest for the delivery on October 15. Cargo offloaded included two large chemical tanks of an unidentified, non-hazardous chemical and several pieces of unspecified heavy machinery. We have managed to track down one of the crew for that delivery, and he indicated that the machinery appeared to be some kind of scientific equipment. He also mentioned that the chemical tanks were handled and accompanied by Futuro Industries personnel instead of the crew. He also noted that several crewmen who had entered the storage hold containing the tanks noted that the hold felt unusually cold, even for winter. The witness states that the tanks and equipment were offloaded without incident.

At this point, information becomes sketchy. What is known is that on the 21st at 01:47, the Kiamuck Sheriff’s office reported a loud explosion from the western side of the island and what appeared to be a fire, based on flickering light coming from that side of the island. He would radio in again at 01:50 that there was evidently no fire, as the light had died out. Subsequent investigation of the Futuro Industries site indicates an explosion and fire did occur at the facility. The explosion did destroy one building, but signs of fire were extremely limited. Scorch patterns indicate the fires burned for less than one minute before being extinguished.

Security camera footage recovered from the Futuro site and the loading dock was spotty. Cameras at the Futuro site were recording onto hard drives when the ‘incident’ began and most were rendered inoperable or lost power due to the explosion. However, one hard drive managed to survive and record the incident. At 01:47, a pressure wave and bright flash can be observed on the footage, followed by flickering light consistent with fire. Over the next minute, the flickering light is extinguished. A low, hanging cloud of white fog begins to spread across the ground, slowly growing denser and higher. At 01:52, the lights illuminating the monitored area go out, and the footage displays a warning that system is now on battery power and will shut down. The footage captured behind this on screen warning is now completely dark, save for the occasional flicker of light.

Footage from the loading dock was more easily retrieved. The dock system was a VHS based system, and was not damaged in the explosion, so suffered no loss of power. The footage shows that at 01:58, a low heavy fog begins rolling in from the western side of the island. This fog appears to contain floating objects of what can only be described as ‘snowflakes’. However, at several points, electrical energy appears to arc through the cloud, appearing to originate from the snowflakes. As the fog envelops on of the lights on the dock, the light can be seen to flash then go out. This repeats as the fog overcomes each light. The fog swallows the first of the four dock security cameras. The footage from that camera goes blurry, and then cuts off. Slowing down the footage, we have determined that what happens is a rapid crystallization of moisture inside the lens, followed by fracturing of the lens and failure of the camera. At the same time code, a nearby camera records a bright flash. This repeats for each camera in succession.