Chapter 5

Hey everybody. I actually finished this chapter in the middle of February but I've swamped with college stuff and finishing Mystery in Fishnet Tights.

I hope you like this chapter. Chapter 6 is coming soon; we're about to get info on Mustang.

Thanks for reading:)

Copyright 2013-2014

~S.

Chapter 5

            Out of the many things my brother taught me, not getting into cars with strangers was the one he stressed the most.

            “Strangers are dangerous, Harley,” he would tell me. “No matter how hot the car is, its owner is always dangerous.”

            This Derrick person was no different. He smiled at Harley, waiting for her to accept his offer. She glanced at Carter, who discretely handed her the keys to the Charger.

            “Why don’t we discuss it in my car?” she said.

            “And you expect me to leave my baby here unattended?”

            “Of course not. My friend here will drive it; he’ll take good care of it.”

            Carter held out his hand, and after a second’s hesitation, Derrick tossed him the keys to the Plymouth. “How about I give you directions to this diner about five miles away from here; we can talk there.”

            “Sounds good.”

            Harley sat in the driver’s seat with Mateo in the passenger seat, and Charger and Derrick in the back seat.

            Derrick grinned appreciation when the Charger purred to life.

She glanced at Derrick in the rearview mirror. “Where to?”

“Head out of here, and turn right till you reach the broken stop lights.”

Harley did as she was told, gunning the car to life and speeding out of the race lot. They rode in silence; the only noise was Derrick calling out directions. They arrived at the diner seven minutes later. The Plymouth pulled up beside them, and Carter went to go stand next to the driver’s side window.  Harley turned the keys, and the absence of the Charger’s rumbling made the parking lot seem more menacing.

Derrick stepped out and looked back at his guests. “Best diner in town, my friends.”

“We’ll meet you inside,” Harley said, her hands still gripping the wheel as Carter took his place in the back seat.

She waited until the diner door closed behind Derrick before turning in her seat to face the boys. “What do we do? You don’t honestly think he’ll give us the information, do you?”

“We had a deal: all the information you need if you beat him in the race. You beat him; he owes you.”

“It’s not that simple, Charger,” Carter said. “He didn’t think Harley would win; now he has to rethink his game plan. Now that she won, he’s not gonna be so willing to answer her questions.”

“Then we’ll make him willing,” Mateo said. “I don’t see any of his goons here; he has no leverage.”

“But this is his diner. They know him here. We have to be careful about this.”

“Harley, how do you want to do this?”

They all looked at Harley, waiting.

She sighed. “This is the only chance we’re going to get. We at least have to figure out where he is. Then we’ll go from there, with or without Derrick’s help.”

She opened the door and made her way into the diner with the boys on her side. They found Derrick in the back sitting in a dimly lit booth. Harley sat across from him with Charger and Mateo on her side, and Carter next to Derrick, blocking him from leaving the booth.

Derrick raised his eyebrows at the blockade, but didn’t say anything. He smirked at Harley, waiting.

“Tell me everything you know.”