Chapter 5: I'm in love with my best friend

*Maddie's POV*

It was sundown now, and I was on my mother's little red picnick blanket. Niall had gone to the bathroom and I was getting pretty tired. I was drinking some yellow citrus Sunny D and trying to focus on how cute Niall's beautiful blue eyes were or how sweet and kind he was but all I could think about was Harry. I knew he was sneaking peeks at me, it was annoying. It was like he was trying to get my attention even though I really did not want to talk to him. Sabrina had left some time during the party, fuming. I think Harry broke up with her but I couldn't be sure, Sabrina was always a drama queen.

"Everybody, may I have your attention!" Anne's voice rang through. Everyone stopped simuletaneously and looked up at her while she smiled down at all of us,

"How are you guys enjoying the picnick?" She asked and everybody cheered, everyone raised there glasses or in my case a Sunny D bottle.

"Well, this was in honor of my son and his super talented band, One Direction!" I heard girls squeal and I rolled my eyes, half these girls hadn't payed attention to Harry when he wasn't famous and now they suddenly wanted him.

"Come up here and say a few words!" His mom said and I saw him blush. He stood up and walked to the front with his band following shortly behind, Niall quickly snuck in with them since he was late. He shot me a smile while doing it. Harry breathed out hard and looked at everybody, I didn't even look up because I knew if I did I would look into those green eyes and I would lose it. I looked around for Trace who was flirting with some blonde haired chick and I rolled my eyes, when wasn't he flirting.

"Erm hi, everybody. I'm harry obviously and erm this is uh my band." He stuttered and I heard the boys teetering behind him. Harry was never very great with talking in front of crowds, it just wasn't his thing. I still wans't looking up, just listening to him speak.

"It is great to erm be back uh here because I uh missed everybody." He said and I felt my heart dropping, he didn't miss me. He barely knew me anymore.

"My erm sister, my mom, my dad, my best-friend." I felt my hands getting clammy, I didn't want to listen to this.

"Maddeline." He began but I was up before I could say any other words. I ran into the house slamming the door behind me, was he seriously just going to give a whole speech in front of all these people? What was the matter with him, this was between me and him, not me, him and all of Holmes Chapel. I stood in the middle of his living room, it was so vast and there was so many pictures. Harry and Gemma, Harry all by himself, Gemma by herself, Harry with cake on his face, Harry as a child. I felt my heart breaking, it was just so adorable. His vivacious green eyes shown through perfectly, he was so... beautiful. I sniffled,

"Maddie." I heard and I turned around quickly, almost dropping the picture. Standing right there in the flesh was Harry, hands stuffed in his pockets, hair everywhere and earnest in those green eyes. I put the picture down and rubbed my hands on my pants. My mouth felt dry and I couldn't spit out words.

"You kind of ran out before I gave my speech." He began and I just stared at him, what did he expect me to say? Sorry, that I didn't want everybody knowing our whole life story, or sorry that I didn't want people to know that my own best-friend just forget about me and now he expected to win me back with cheap words. I didn't say any of these things out loud of course, there was a lump in my throat.

"Are you going to say anything?" He asked me and I was still standing there, where was he going with this? He clearly didn't remember our promise,

"Ok then, just listen." He began, I couldn't wait to hear this. What was he suppose to say, I hope he didn't say sorry because that was the last thing I needed to hear right now.