Chapter 4

Hannah was finally done cleaning the house an hour before people were supposed to show up. Brian was sitting on the couch watching a movie that was about halfway over. She sits down next to him to finish the movie.

"You ready for tonight?" She asks Brian.

"Yeah, are you?" He responds.

"As ready as I'll ever be." Hannah replies.

Just as it seems like Hannah has finally caught her breath, people start to show up. First, it was Trever, then Teresa, Hannah's really good friend from high school.

She hugs Teresa and welcomes her inside.

A group of Brian's friends show up a few minutes later. They all gather in the living room and put on Suicide Squad.

"Hey Hannah!" A voice calls out.

Hannah turns to face the familiar voice of her sister, Kendra and smiles. "Hey! I've missed you!"

They embrace in a hug that seems to last for minutes.

"I've missed you too sis! Here, I have something for us." Kendra says as she grabs Hannah by the hand and leads her to her bedroom.

Kendra pulls out a bottle of Crown Royal out of her bag and winks. "Want to take a shot?"

Hannah stares at the bottle a moment. "Yeah, let's do it!"

It might make tonight easier, anyway.

Kendra excitedly pulls a shot glass out of her bag and pours Hannah a shot. She takes the glass and takes a deep breath before leaning her head back, taking the shot. Kendra takes one as well.

The bitter taste of alcohol drips down her throat and she shakes her head as she cringes. She looks at the bottle again, takes the shot glass from Kendra, and pours herself another one.

"Happy New Years, my dear sister." She says before tilting her head back and taking the shot.

Kendra pours herself another one also.

"Happy New Years!" She cheers and takes hers as well.

Two more shots each, the bottle was over halfway gone.

"I think I'm good for now." Hannah says, her head feeling like it's rocking back and forth on waves.

"Yeah, me too. Let's go see if anyone else showed up." Kendra replies.

They both stumble out of Hannah's bedroom and make their way to the living room. She goes into the kitchen to snack on some crackers. Just then, Brian's family comes through the side door.

"Sissy!" Yells Brian's little 7 year old sister, Laura.

She runs up and hugs Hannah.

"Hi Jellybean! I got some coloring books for you. You want to draw me something?" Replies Hannah, returning the hug.

"Yeah!" She said excitedly.

Hannah goes and grabs the coloring books and colored pens and sets them on the table for Laura to color.

"Hi miss Hannah." Says Robert, Brian's dad.

He holds his arms out for a hug. Hannah, trying hard to not show she's drunk, walks over to him and hugs him and Shannon, Brian's mom.