Ch.1

A chill runs up my spine, the shrill sound of a knife scraping against wallpaper is all I can hear in the quiet house. A small sniffle comes from my younger sister. I can't see her, but I know that she is behind my father's coat. Next to her is John, her twin brother, trying to coax her into being silent. Dan sits there, looking at them with worry, my two 4 year old twins, and my 6 year old brother, how did we get into this horror?

Earlier that day:              It's my birthday today! Everyone's running around the house, preparing for dinner and congratulating me on turning 13. "It's dinner time!" My mom calls out. I go downstairs and see all my favorite foods! As my mom goes into the kitchen to get dessert, a crash shatters our happiness. Then silence, a deafening silence that pulls the smile off my face. My father gets up and goes to look. He comes back, his face all sweaty and pale, and rushes us upstairs. He takes us to his closet and shoves us in, as I open my mouth to ask what was going on, he put a finger over my mouth, smiled slightly, shook his head no, then closed the closet door.

Currently:                  I stand up, knowing what I have to do. I start to leave the closet, but a small hand stops me. I turn and look at my younger siblings, then smile before hugging them. "Stay here", I whisper. I quietly slip out the closet and down the hallway, in the direction of the kitchen. When I open the door, I gag at the sight before me. My parents lay there, in a pool of blood, dead. A small scream comes from behind me, I turn to see my three siblings run to my parents and cling to their dead bodies. As I stare in horror, a figure comes up, and with a wide sweeping motion he starts to plunge the knife downwards. Without thinking, I jump forward and put my back to him, catching the knife in between my shoulder blades. A searing pain rips through my body, "Run", I gasp out. I feel the three small, shivering bodies leave my arms, then hear the door slam. A frustrated growl comes from the man behind me. As I feel my consciousness start to fade, I stretch out my hand, in hopes of holding on to my parents in my last moments. Instead I feel the coolness of metal. I peel my eyes open, and see a pair of scissors. Immediately my body reacted, I grabbed the scissors and whipped around, the adrenaline coursing through my veins dulled out the pain. With my weapon, I stabbed the man in the eye. As he screams out in pain, I get up and sprint out the door. As I run, the pain begins to return. Faintly I hear voices calling to me, I look up and see my siblings with the neighbors, looking scared, but alright. I slow to a walk then, as I smile in relief, I embrace the darkness that was calling for me.