Chapter One ✩ Whose Got It Better Than Us?

It's funny how life can treat you, sometimes. There's a feeling of going through the motions, like every day is exactly the same, and then one moment can change everything. Halle's life was in a rut. Same routine, same everything.

She would wake up, feed the same dog, watch the same morning show, check the same e-mail from the same addresses, write about the same things as per the instructions of her boss. And even in her personal life-- she was stuck.

In a relationship she desperately wanted to be free of, as she pulled on a long sleeved shirt in the middle of July to hide the fingerprint shaped bruises on her wrist. She brushes her blonde hair and puts on her make-up and looks in the same mirror she looks into every day.

She grabs her keys and stares at her reflection.

The purple around her eye has faded now, so she can go back to not wearing foundation. She puts on a big pair of sunglasses and watches how it shades the world. All those different dark shades that she never knew existed.

"Well, Flower, looks like another day at the office."

The pit bull puppy whines a little and his tail whips against the ground. Halle exits the apartment and locks the door behind her. Sees the same people at the mailbox, same same same. Everything was always the same.

Boring.

Painful.

Same.

But that was okay-- people said it was good when you fell into routines and patterns. Maybe this was what being an adult was all about. Hey, she was doing a good job. So she smiles to herself and watches as the elevator doors slide closed and heads out of the building and to her job.

She remembered what her good friend used to quote at her-- probably sarcastic-- whose got it better than us? No-bo-dy.

✩ ✩ ✩