Confession of the 17th Rose: The Other Side

Please read "Confession of he 17th Rose" on the external link first.

* * * * *

Play "I'll Never Go" by David Archuleta <3

* * * * *

ONE LAST DANCE...

I felt my heart started to beat faster than it did earlier.

"Happy birthday, 'nak."

I heard Tito Dominic said and it somehow brought me back to life. "T-thank you, tito." I smiled the best smile i could give to my "tatay" in Princess and I.

PAI.

It has brought back the memories again. How could i do away with that? Almost half of the people in my party reminded me of the show, of the story, of...

"Masaya ka ba, 'nak? Ang ganda-ganda ng party mo."

I nodded and answered Tito Dom. "Yes po. Sobra pa 'to sa gusto ko."

"Alam mo Kath, you deserve all these, the happiness and more, kasi mabait kang bata. At mabuti kang tao."

I smiled again at him. "Thank you po. And thanks sa pagpunta. Ngayon ko lang kayo nakita ulit."

"Syempre naman. I can't let this pass, para sa prinsesa namin."

Prinsesa...

I shook my head in my mind, trying to shake off the thoughts that the "endearment" brought back.

"The next gentleman was Kathryn's leading man in her very first starring movie 'Way Back Home'. He also played the role of a Dasho in her hit teleserye 'Princess and I'. Let me call on the 17th rose, Prince Jao andKing of the Gil himself, Enrique Gil!", Robi introduced.

My eyes automatically looked on Quen's way as he approached the spot where i was dancing with my tatay-tatayan. When he got closer, Tito Dom gave him my hand and they just exchanged greetings.

When Quen and i were left alone on stage, I smiled at him, but i was sure my smile did not reach my eyes. How could it, when i felt something bugging inside me? I tried to look into his eyes for a short while but i simply looked away when he stared into mine, too. I could not meet his gaze for long. As much as possible, i did not want him to feel my discomfort of having him around... of having him near.

He handed me the long-stemmed rose and reached for my hand. He held me by the waist and our extended hands were already tangled. I put my other arm over his shoulder. It was suddenly difficult for me to breathe normally. I could not think straight. My mind was wandering - what should i do? what should i say? what would the other people think? and what was he thinking at the moment?

"Happy birthday, Kath."

I forced to smile some more when he spoke.

"Thanks, Quen." It was the best response that i could think of, especially when i knew that he was still staring at me.

He sighed. "I know i'm not supposed to be here."

I was surprised with what he said. That was definitely unexpected.

"Why?" i just replied.

"Because i don't deserve this."

His voice sounded lonely. I did not know what to say.