Chapter 6

There was a hush that fell upon the crew as the pilots relayed information over the intercom:

"We are now approaching the object. Reverse thrusters. Bringing images of the object on the displays now," Major Curry announced.

The images on the displays were like nothing Cyrus had ever seen before. The surface of the object was densely spiked like a sea urchin in a deep purple colour.

"Scan indicated that the surface of the object is less dense on the underside. We are going to move closer to the object on the underside," Officer Burke announced.

The marines were awestruck by what they were seeing. Cyrus gulped down air as they had a close view of the underside of the object. They were now very close to the object. Their ship was almost touching it and something miraculous happened. The spikes of the object opened up and the interior of the object could be seen.

"Hold tight. There is some force drawing us up into the object," Major Curry said over the intercom.

There was an eerie quiet for a moment. No one said anything as the ship was drawn into the object with the purple spikes of the object twirling and creating some sort of force, drawing the ship into the core that was also twirling with spikes which were a darker shade of purple to the exterior.

"OK marines. Helmets on," Sergeant McCarthy barked over the intercom.

Cyrus lifted up the astronaut helmet over his head and it automatically locked and sealed with his suit and the oxygen supply was activated.

Cyrus became conscious of his breath and tried to slow it down. Adrenalin pumped through him.

The ship appeared to be stationary and the mouth of the object appeared to close around them. The display showed a very dark image with the purple luminescence of the spikes all that could be seen.

"What now?" Cyrus said.

"Await instructions," Sergeant McCarthy said over the intercom.

A bright light from the ship was turned on so they could see the walls of the object, the twirling spikes casting long moving shadows behind them.

"What is this, Cy?" Milton asked.

"Await instructions," Sergeant McCarthy repeated again.

"I have been advised by Mission Control that we are to do a two person spacewalk with Professor Baxendale and Corporal Jackson ," Major Curry said over the intercom.

"That's you," Milton said looking at Cyrus who for a moment felt frozen. Then he thought to himself - I can do this and he started to recite his favourite rap song in his mind – It Ain't Hard to Tell by Nas.

Cyrus got up and proceeded to the air lock where the Professor was. Cyrus closed the air lock while Professor took measurements outside the ship.

"Corporal, air pressure outside the ship is the same as inside. The object seems to have normalised the air pressure. There is also oxygen outside the ship but keep your suit on. Don't touch anything unless I tell you to," the Professor said.

Cyrus nodded.

"OK, connect in," the Professor said, hooking her suit to a cord. Cyrus did the same.

"We are hooked in Major. Open the cabin door. Over," Cyrus said over the intercom.

"Roger that," Major Curry said and the door to the ship started to slowly open.