9

Eddie was counting the days takes when the door swung open violently. He jumped when it smashed into the wall, and he was even more disturbed to see that it was Damien.

Eddie stood in silence. A wad of tens were clutched in his greasy hands. He watched Damien storm into the shop. Eddie could tell he was angry. It seemed to swell and fill the room. Eddie was sure the lights had dimmed.

Damien threw the pizza carrier over the counter, knocking over a pile of menus. He was panting. Eddie could see sweat gleaming on his forehead. His hair was a mess. His dark eyes were thunderous. Eddie saw his hands clench into fists and release again, as if he was trying to calm himself down.

Eddie waited for Damien to speak.

'Fuckers,' Damien muttered. 'Fuckers. Cunts. Fucking cunts.'

He turned to look at Eddie. Eddie's heart stopped. Damien's eyes were completely black, as if swallowed by his pupils.

'Cunts,' Damien said.

'Are you alright, son?' Eddie asked.

Damien shook his head. 'Those fuckers. I'll kill them. Cunts.'

'Kill who?'

'They never paid,' Damien growled. 'Tried to act tough. Cunts. Tried scaring me. I'll fucking kill them.'

'Damien, let's go in the back,' Eddie said. 'Tell me what's happened. Maybe I can help.'

'Tried to embarrass me,' Damien continued. 'Tried to steal from me. Cunts!'

He shouted the word. Eddie jumped.

'Damien,' he said. 'Damien, let's go mate. Let's just sit down. Let me help.'

Damien shook his head. He looked at Eddie. Eddie noticed that his eyes seemed to have returned to a normal state.

'You can't help me,' Damien whispered. 'I have to sort this myself.'

He turned and headed outside.

'Damien,' Eddie shouted, running after him. 'Damien, come back. Don't do anything stupid. Damien!'

It was too late. Damien was already in his car. It screamed defiantly and sped down the street.