16) Romeo and Juliet

Icarus returned to the throne and set the untouched tray on the table. "Atlantis has refused food yet again, Your Highness."

Poseidon frowned, twirling his fork aimlessly. "Fine, Icarus." He replied tiredly. "Leave her be."

The siren had locked herself in her room for going on three days, refusing both food and company. Her parents couldn't really blame her though, after everything that happened. Poseidon and Amphitrite ate their meal in silence.

Since the royal family had returned, the city had been repaired and Icarus had become a mere advisor once again, to his relief. Icarus was also one of the only servants remaining for aid the royal family, as nearly all of them were either sick or deceased. Atlantis' two main servants, Matilda and Lilly had yet to be replaced. Though she had said nothing about them, Poseidon and Amphitrite guessed the siren was still grieving.

The two hadn't seen their daughter in three days, and that night Poseidon decided to check on her. "Lanti," 'he called softly, gently knocking on the door. "Are you in there?"

His question was met with silence, followed by muffled cries. The god tried the door, only to find it locked.

"Atlantis? Will you open the door?"

"Go away!" The siren shrieked. As Poseidon moved back, a thud was heard against the door, followed by harder sobs.

The sea god returned to the throne room, the expression on his face conveying his failure. Amphitrite sighed. "Tomorrow, if she doesn't come out, we'll go in. Lanti at least needs to eat something." Poseidon muttered an agreement and they finished their meal in silence.

The next day, Atlantis had yet to leave her room. When Poseidon knocked, there was no answer. He called her name several times, but was met with silence. Finally, he teleported through the still locked door and gasped. "Amphitrite! Come quick!" In an instant, his wife was by the god's side, mirroring his expression.

The siren's room was a disaster. It looked like a herd of angry cats had come through. Claw marks ripped through sheets and curtains, and scratches marred the walls. Her clothes had been torn from their hangers and cast to the floor. While her husband examined the broken window, Amphitrite noticed a piece of laminated paper on the bed, and shrieked after reading the note. Poseidon rushed over and took it.

Dear Poseidon, Amphitrite, and whomever else it may concern,
I am deeply sorry. You have successfully raised a wonderful child, but it seems I cannot do the same. The words of that doctor have been ringing in my head and now I realize they are true. I should be, and am ashamed to call myself a mother. At least now, I am not one. I let Apollo down, I let my son down, and here I am letting you down, and not for the first time.
Regretfully yours,
Atlantis, siren princess of the ocean

A few moments of respectful silence passed before Amphitrite broke down in tears. "She's gone!" The goddess wailed. "Our wonderful daughter is gone!"

"Hush, my love." Poseidon said gently, wrapping his arms around Amphitrite. "We don't know that for sure. There still might be time if we hurry."

"How are we going to find her?" Amphitrite looked into her husband's eyes, searching for any glimmer of hope.

Poseidon scanned the room, looking for any clue. "Blood." He finally said, hurrying to the window. "There's blood on the glass from when she broke it."

"How is that going to-"

In answer, the god shapeshifted into a lemon shark. "The literal bloodhound of the ocean."

Amphitrite followed suit and the two set off as fast as they could after the invisible trail. They tracked Atlantis all the way to the mouth of the Mississippi River, in the Gulf of Mexico. The trail of blood continued into the freshwater river, which set Amphitrite into another crying fit.

"Please tell me our Lanti didn't go in there!" The goddess cried. "She can't breathe in freshwater!"

"I know." Poseidon replied, unable to hide the worry in his voice. The two changed into smallmouth bass to reduce suspicion and raced after the siren, hoping she was still alive. About three and a half miles upstream, Poseidon and Amphitrite found their daughter.

The siren was caught a in a mass of debris, but made no move to free herself. Poseidon gently lifted her out and felt her pulse. Or rather, didn't. Amphitrite salinized the surrounding water, but after several resuscitation attempts, they were forced to face the facts.

With tears in his eyes, Poseidon pointed his trident at Atlantis and Amphitrite joined him in reciting words they had hoped they would never have to say. "From ocean to ocean, water to water, swim forever."

Blue light exploded into the water as the siren was converted from seventy percent water to completely liquid. Atlantis opened her eyes and gave a sad smile and waved to her parents. After a wet, ghostly embrace, she looked south and swan through the sky toward home.

Poseidon and Amphitrite watched their daughter until she was out of sight. After a distant splash of spirit dissolving into water, they physically swam home, taking the extra time to grieve.

Back at the palace, Icarus found himself ruling the ocean again. He was just wondering when the king and queen would return from wherever they had gone, when a figure entered the throne room. They were clad in a white hooded robe, completely concealing their appearance.

"Who are you?" Icarus demanded, rising.

The stranger looked up. "Where are Poseidon and Amphitrite? I wish to speak with them."

"About what?" The merman questioned. The figure sounded between thirteen and twenty-three, it was very hard to tell.

"Private matters. But if you really must know, they involve the siren called Atlantis."

Icarus gasped, then quickly closed his mouth. This newcomer must have something to do with her disappearance. Icarus remembered hearing something about blood on a broken window, and realized with horror this individual might be wanting a ransom for Atlantis.

Icarus was saved from answering by the appearance of somber-faced royalty. The stranger stared at Poseidon and Amphitrite silently.

The sea god turned, tilting his head to the side. "Who are you?"

In one movement, the figure removed the white robe and three mouths gaped.

"Hello, Grandma and Grandpa."