New Girl

Chapter 1...

I walk into Penitilium High School, feeling the hard stares pierce my body. Why can't everyone just leave me alone? I brush some of my dark brown hair in front of my face and keep my head down, avoiding as many students as much as possible. The hallways part like the red sea in front of me as people decide to stop and stare like I am  new exhibit at the zoo. Everyone does too, all of the cheerleaders, jocks, drama geeks, textbook nerds, every single one. Awkwardly, I shuffle quickly to my new locker that had been assigned to me.

Number 204. I shove my hand in my pocket, pulling out the yellow sticky note with the combination on it. "...I mean, why the hell is she even here? People don't just appear out of nowhere." My head perks up as a cheerleader walks past with her friend, their eyes glued to me. My eyes flick down to the ugly title floor again as my locker pops open. I grip the locker door with my hand, my fingers turning a bright pink.

She is right, I should not be here. I should be back home in Altum, because people are not allowed to move to different states for about fifty years- until my family just did it a few days ago. Now I am a freak because of it. Why can they not just forget about me and understand why it happened in the first place?

My mother is in the government as a representative for the people. She asked to be moved to Penitilium for "a better chance for her ideas to spread." I think that is a load of crap. I know why she asked for the transfer. Mom never desired to move from Altum for one day in her life until Kris died, she just wanted to get away from him- dragging Dad and I along with her for the ride.

The bell echoes through the halls, making a shiver run up my spine. I have to go to class now and just sit there why everyone gives me dirty looks and begin to plan their rumors. I walk briskly to my new class, sitting in the back as the other students file in, staring at me for a second before they start to work on the class work that is written on the chalkboard. A girl with long blonde extensions walks in, her heels clicking on the floor. All of the guys begin to stare in desire, trying not to drool or fall out of their seats.

She starts to walk right up to my desk and I want to disappear. First day of school and I am going to have to be part of a show. She sets her purse on the corner of the desk and glares at me with her cold, blue eyes. "I don't know who you are, so that obviously means you aren't important," She says plainly, "So I suggest that you move out of my seat before you have to see my nasty side." This chick really has no idea. I do not take threats from random psycho, spoiled, rich brats.

I smile politely. "I'm sorry? I thought I was already looking at your nasty side, my bad." I say. Gosh, why do I have to be such a smartass?

She gasps over-dramatically, glaring at me again. "You're not really starting off that well are you new girl? Maybe that's because you don't belong here." She says.

A lump grows in my throat and I can hear Kris's voice echoing in my head. Knock the slimy bitch out already... As much as I would like to do that, I remain calm. I grab my bag, slinging it over my shoulder and standing up. She smiles smugly, taking my seat. I hate to let her get what she wants, I want to knock her out- Kris would have done it. Right now though, I want to keep my head down and try not to be noticed. It does not really seem to be working out for me at the moment. "Hey."

I look over, seeing a girl move her bag out from the seat next to her. "You can sit here if you want to." She suggests.

I walk over, slumping down in the chair. The girl next to me looks over at me in wonder with her big brown eyes, her wiry orange hair hanging down in a loose braid. "I would appreciate it if you would stop staring at me like that." I mutter.

She looks away quickly. "Sorry." She says.

I sigh. "It doesn't really matter, everyone else is going to stare anyways." I say bitterly.