14. The Burning

[Downloading Evidence File/#: 38372.83838.0983]

Description: Partial text recovered from journal previously owned by [NAME REDACTED], sailor reported missing as of 6/10/17. [NAME REDACTED] was traveling across the Atlantic Ocean prior to "Burning". Vessel discovered off the Panama City Coast, unmanned.

June 9th 2017.

The Burning came to me in my dreams again. I was standing by the bow of the ship, staring off into the distant storm clouds, when the ocean miscarried. Dead fish rose from the depths with their skin melting off of their bones. Melting and joined together. Knitted together. The surface was covered in billions of trillions of Burning fish. A writhing, throbbing, bleeding blanket. I opened my mouth to scream. But I couldn't.

They spoke. It spoke through them, the Burning.

"Burn. Slough. Reborn."

Over and over again.

Over and over again.

They begged me to join them. To be given new skin. I couldn't wait. I threw off my clothes and jumped over the side of the ship, nude and free. The Crimson peeled away towards me. Its fingers reached out for me. They bled for me. I spread my arms wide and closed my eyes and

woke up in my own bed. I woke up in my bed with the window open and sweat down my forehead and the light of Hell in my heart. Heat.

I've had enough. My arms are getting more and more red and are itching and are peeling. Skin is flaking away. Blood covers everything. Can see bones through the loose patches of skin that are sloughing off, white pretty bones. The pain is too much for me to take. I can't even write. God. It feels like a billion jellyfish are stinging me. The sunscreen did nothing to protect me from the Burning yesterday.

Help me. I'm going to join the Burning.

Forgive me.

The Burning will reach the coast soon.