Chance or Faith?

A home is a place which primarily exists out of walls, windows, a roof, and furniture, but what makes a home a home are the people within those walls, underneath the roof. Their love seeps into everything like an invisible signature and imprints the occupant's presence everywhere inside the home and can't be washed away. The rules were the same for the estate, no matter its opulence, the people who lived on the Darken estate, made it a home.

Each step Milira took into the foyer confirmed the life that clung to the walls and for the first time it didn't welcome her with open arms but instead made her heart contract. She drew in a sharp, painful breath. There was no escaping it, Alexander's presence dripped in waves from every inch. The stab continued to increase into a multitude of twisted jabs. Her lungs refused to fill themselves with enough air and her stomach contorted into a sinking knot. Hot, salty tears drenched her skin and dripped into her open mouth. I can't do this. I can't! He's go- The thought never transitioned into more as her feet backtracked, trying to make a hasty exit.

Milira didn't get far, her back connected with Dave's solid and lean chest as his hands enveloped her shoulders, their strength trapping her inside the foyer.

She couldn't stop the memories, nor could she stop her eyes from darting from object to object until she found the faces amongst the objects. The household staff stood in silence, their faces a reflection of the emotion she experienced. Some of the woman burst into tears while the men offered napkins, soft whispered words and their own glossy eyes. The newer staff bowed their heads and their condolences echoed throughout the room. She expected grieving faces, but not with such severity. Her uncle's death snowballed through many lives, not just her own.

"I-" Milira didn't have words of comfort to give, she could just stand before the staff and crumble.

"There's no need for words." Dave announced in her ear, his hands giving her a gentle but sympathetic squeeze.

To anyone else who walked through the estate doors, Dave's support may have meant little but to her, it meant she didn't need to face the burden alone.

Milira turned to Dave, mouthing a thank you knowing that her eyes held more meaning in them than those two silent words. With as much courage as she could muster, she inhaled and faced the reminders of her life. Of Alexander's life.

Dark wooden floors reminded Milira of a time she glided in her socks across the room and tripped over the patterned cream and mocha area rug situated in the center of the high ceiling foyer. Or, the time her distraction over a fantasy novel cost her to bump into Alexander's crystal vase and smash it to the floor. A similar vase, she bought with her measly teenage savings, now stood on the rounded Rococo inspired table, black roses in its center. A large settee upholstered in geometric circles, sat to her left. She often lounged on it as people rarely used the furniture for anything else than decorating purposes. The artwork on the walls was accentuated by dimmed lighting as the iron chandelier hung from old chains provided ample light. A hallway next to the settee displayed numerous rooms with closed doors. The same young maid from earlier, stepped in behind them, carrying Milira's luggage. Milira moved to help but the girl already made her way up the mahogany staircase curling up to the second floor.

"May I suggest some rest before dinner?"

Milira's vision glazed over. No. No. She didn't want to get rest or have time to top over the past. Though nothing could stop it. Every step she took would have the same effect as the one the foyer did. Memories would flood her either way. With a nod, she took the familiar steps up the stairs.

Three corridors, leading forward, right and left, split the upper floor of the mansion. Two of the corridors were often rented out for tours or used as guest accommodations. The left corridor however, Alexander built as an attachment that remained private. Each bedroom similar in appearances apart from their colour schemes. They all occupied four-poster beds, walk-in closets, en-suite bathrooms and a balcony overlooking the estate grounds.